Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to install Presonus Firebox on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: how to install Presonus Firebox on Ubuntu

Yesterday I made a fresh install of 9.04. But that turned out to be a very bad idea because this newly set up system froze up every few minutes and the only thing I could do was to hard reboot. I then reinstalled the OS again. I am now running Ubuntu 8.04 and loaded all driver modules. lspci recognizes my firewire controller. lsmod shows ieee1394, raw1394 and ohci1394 loaded. But still I receive the SAME error message when I try to start JACK with freebob.

I would be grateful for any help on this issue!

Best regards

Marcel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I finally got the LED to glow blue! I have reinstalled my System and placed the Firewire card at another PCI-Slot.

Now I have another problem. I receive massive amounts of Xruns, even if I set JACK to the highest possible latency, it is not possible for me to eliminate the Xruns. (I'm working on that and I'm confident that this problem can be solved).

Marcel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Even solved that problem! Just set the Frames/Period to 128 and the Number of Buffers to 4. That eliminates the Xruns.
    Now everything runs fine. I can even use realtime scheduling (Prio at 60).

Best regards
    Last edited by Valenz; August 7th, 2009 at 09:16 AM.

Beans

Hello everybody!

I'm running a Macbook (now affectionately known as the smackbook) and dual booting into Ubuntu Studio. This has been mainly an experiment for me, as I don't see any NEED to go Linux, but since I already use Pd, Jack, SPEAR, and hosts of other open-source audio software in OS X, I thought I'd give Ubustu a try.

Aside from the unusable rt kernel, which I hope will be addressed tomorrow with 9.10, I can't get my Firebox to work either.

I tried running jackd -R -dfreebob, but no dice: I'm not getting a blue light from my Firebox. How did you all get your box to glow blue?

THANKS

Beans

Hi,

It's been a while since someone posted on this thread.

Ok I have a Presonus Firebox too, and I can't hear any sounds coming out of it. The light is blue, but I have no sound.

I followed the guide that somebody posted here (http://wiki.jon.geek.nz/index.php/Presonus_Firebox) but I still can't hear anything out of my Firebox.

I have to load JACK manually (jackd -R -dfreebob -r44100 -p1024 -n3 -D), and then the light becomes blue.

I get this error message though, but I don't think it is the problem since its about midi support:

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
    loading driver ..
    Freebob using Firewire port 0, node -1
    ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
    FreeBoB ERR: Error opening ALSA sequencer.
    FreeBoB ERR: -----------------------------------------------------------
    FreeBoB ERR: Error creating midi device!
    FreeBoB ERR: FreeBob will run without MIDI support.
    FreeBoB ERR: Consult the above error messages to solve the problem.
    FreeBoB ERR: -----------------------------------------------------------

and every 5 seconds or so, I get this error:

LibFreeBoB ERR: Dropped packets on connection 1

So since I can't figure out what I can do to solve this by myself, maybe you guys have an idea to help me ??

Beans

When JACK is started, if I try to play a mp3 file, nothing happens... it just stays at 0:00. If JACK isn't started, I see the file being played, but I hear no sound, of course. I tried xmms2 with JACK as the output plugin, and nothins happens.

Beans

^^^I've got a similar problem, light is blue but no sound coming out.... grrrrrrr. So want this to work so I'll give up windows but not without sound.... HELP!

Edit:
    So with renewed effort I managed to get music to play through VLC player, lots of xruns, clipping when I click on any open window but at least I'm getting some sound.

I installed the JACK plugin for VLC, configured the "connections" in JACK and there it is, guess the problem is a matter of the running program recognizing JACK as the audio destination.

I'm a noob but it's a start...

Now if I could figure out how to keep my connections in JACK between track playback (ie have to reconnect for every track!!!) I'd really be getting somewhere.
    Last edited by orbesnet; February 15th, 2011 at 01:25 AM.

Beans

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12