Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8.04 Server - Mail Server problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 8.04 Server - Mail Server problem

OK, I got so far that I can send/receive mail localy and I can send mail to other domains (gmail for example). BUT I can not receive mail from any other domain. The message I get when trying to send mail from a gmail account to my server is:

Code:
    Technical details of permanent failure:
    PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain.
    We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error.
    The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <e-mail address>: Relay access denied (state 14).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

a lot of ISP's close port 25 (if you have a residential connection package)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Fejker View Post
    OK, I got so far that I can send/receive mail localy and I can send mail to other domains (gmail for example). BUT I can not receive mail from any other domain. The message I get when trying to send mail from a gmail account to my server is:

Code:
    Technical details of permanent failure:
    PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain.
    We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error.
    The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <e-mail address>: Relay access denied (state 14).
    The error message you posted is for your smtp server (outgoing) mail. Many mail providers do not allow you to send mail without reverse DNS set up or authentication on their servers. They do this so that you don't relay SPAM through their mail servers. the first thing you should do is set up reverse DNS through your ISP.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That is not the case here because I previously had a mail server set up on a Windows server and all was working fine. And port 25 is not blocked according to a port scan. And my reverse DNS is set up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just noticed this error isn't even from your domain. This is a failure message from Google. I suspect the problem is there.

Can anyone explain to me why people do this? Why are you not sending the mail directly to people instead of through google. This is the way my own board is set up. I send all mail directly to their domain.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As I said, I logged in to my Gmail account and tried to send mail to my SOMEONE@fejker.net address and I got that message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ah, I understand now, your server is the one that is rejecting the relayed mail. That is probably a good thing. Not sure I have an answer to your problem yet though.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes it's a good thing if you only want to be able to send mail locally. But what's the point in having a mail server then if your colleges can't send mail to you from gmail, yahoo, hotmail and other mail addresses. Thanks anyway, the first tutorial was helpful.

I hope someone can help me out with the issue of receiving mail from other domains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12