Thread: does clamav suck?

Beans

does clamav suck?

i just scanned a few tutorial vids and pdf files i downloaded overnight. and on 3 of 8 of the things i downloaded clam says its a virus and the reason is "files number limit exceeded". i looked that up on google and changed the conf file to not limit files or whatever and it still does that, even when i scan just 1 of the pdf files.

it also lists the names of the files scanned wrong. not all 8 of the files in the clam window are the names of the files i have. one of them is repeated 3 times, 2 of them counted as viruses and 1 of them is clean.

so then i tried checking the log that was saved. and it listed the infected files like this: "/home/stink/Desktop/untitled fold..." very helpful and informative....

should i just ignore everything clam says?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: does clamav suck?

I don't use AV....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    I don't use AV....
    yes i know, i was just in the other thread where you said you encrypt your stuff =]

someone else answer me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: does clamav suck?

Quote Originally Posted by waggingwabbit View Post
    i just scanned a few tutorial vids and pdf files i downloaded overnight. and on 3 of 8 of the things i downloaded clam says its a virus and the reason is "files number limit exceeded". i looked that up on google and changed the conf file to not limit files or whatever and it still does that, even when i scan just 1 of the pdf files.

it also lists the names of the files scanned wrong. not all 8 of the files in the clam window are the names of the files i have. one of them is repeated 3 times, 2 of them counted as viruses and 1 of them is clean.

so then i tried checking the log that was saved. and it listed the infected files like this: "/home/stink/Desktop/untitled fold..." very helpful and informative....

should i just ignore everything clam says?

Yes and no. Yes because you really dont need AV in Ubuntu, so forget what ever its saying.

No, because you might be security paranoid like me! Moreover its better to scan as you may be sharing stuff with Windoze users.

However get Avast Antivirus. You can even configure it to scan single files from right click context menu. Get it (and other useful apps) from here:

http://www.attari.net/index.php?My_s...u_Applications

Beans

have yet to fully check out that sight, but from first glance it looks really useful. thanks! i do share with windows users. =]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ClamAV ranks pretty low on the ranks of detection engines. It's open source which is good but the flaw in that is they don't have a paid team constantly updating the definitions so you don't see newer malware being recognized.

www.virustotal.com
    it has a multiscan engine that goes through a lot of commercial AV engines and gives you a report.
    -Chayak

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

AV on Ubuntu is mainly a courtesy thing that only really matters when you're likely to be interacting with Windows users - some ISPs and email providers (including Yahoo) have a "Thou shalt not pass on malware"-type clause in their terms of service.

My personal favourite is AVG, which comes in both Linux-friendly and Windows versions.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wouldn't say it sucks nessesarily. Every has covered the main reasons for using AV in ubuntu/*nix: for sharing with windows folks.

I would also through in a second vote for AVG if you need to use it:
    http://free.grisoft.com/ww.4040

That url is the official site and should be easy to get up in running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by AmonSacha View Post
    I wouldn't say it sucks nessesarily. Every has covered the main reasons for using AV in ubuntu/*nix: for sharing with windows folks.

I would also through in a second vote for AVG if you need to use it:
    http://free.grisoft.com/ww.4040

That url is the official site and should be easy to get up in running.
    I tend to agree when you recommend AVG over ClamAV. Every time I have tried ClamAV in the past it has been a disappointing and annoying experience. Luckily AV is not an overwhelming concern for my uses, but in some cases AV is a must and Clam falls short of optimal...