Thread: [SOLVED] Broken login screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Unhappy [SOLVED] Broken login screen

Hi there,

I just upgraded my memory from 1 GB to 4 GB and suddenly my x login screen no longer comes up. X itself starts but the little clock thingy just keeps going around and around and doesn't actually bring up the login screen. I can go to a terminal and that still works. I'm running 6.06 on a core duo HP nx9420 laptop. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Broken login screen

When its doing the "clock thingy", try ctrl+alt+F1. Can you spot some error messages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Sorry for being technical with "clock thingy" . I just mean the little thing that shows the computer is busy. In Windows it'd be an hourglass... I can go to the terminal (ctrl+alt+F1) and there don't seem to be any error messages. I killed gdm and then tried doing a "startx" from the terminal and that wasn't happy either. Further investigation seems to show that the whole computer is running way slower now in ubuntu with the new memory. It still works fine in Windows though (groan).

Beans

have you tried to

Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure --all
    THIS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME

maybe there is some part of the kernel that needs to be configured for the new RAM...

There's another possibility: your new RAM could be corrupted, so that gdm unfortunately writes to an address where the damage is...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Cool beans, I'll try that and let you know how it goes. I'll go grab some lunch so long...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

It's still unhappy . dpkg-reconfigure seemed to hang when it was auto-detecting the screen bit - I couldn't even get to another terminal screen. Perhaps I should restart and tell it not to do that... Groan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Smile Re: Broken login screen

Okay, I have solved the problem (with a little help from my friend google). It turns out that even though 4GB's of memory should be addressable on a 32bit machine, something to do with the spec means that some of that address space is reserved for other things. And apparently Ubuntu didn't know about that. So adding mem=3G to the grub boot line fixed the problem.