Thread: Slow PPTP connection problem

Beans

Slow PPTP connection problem

I am using Ubuntu 8.04. When I establish a PPTP vpn connection using OpenVPN, it connects, but the connection is very slow and really unusable. Even though I am able to ssh to the remote systems, it is very slow while typing the commands or editing using vi.

But, if I connect to the same PPTP VPN router from windows, it is working fast and able to work.

Has anyone observed this problem? How do I debug this problem to understand what is wrong?

Beans

Re: Slow PPTP connection problem

Is anyone else facing this problem or only I am experiencing this problem?

It will be helpful if someone can provide some suggestions on how to debug the problem with the openvpn connection.

-- Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yes, I am experiencing this same situation. I am not totally certain I am using OpenVPN though, I think I might be using Network Manager or something like that. All I know is when I am PPTP from 8.04 to a Cisco VPN my connection is slow as molases.

Beans

I too am having slow PPTP performance - I'm using Intrepid 64bit. Anyhow, while searching for answer I came across something that might help you. Post mentions issues with Cisco and slow performance.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=slow