Thread: glib2 error when trying to install Audacious

Beans

glib2 error when trying to install Audacious

I just got Linux on Sunday, so I am very new to it. I am trying to install Audacious. I typed ./configure in the terminal, and it did a bunch of stuff and then gave me this message:

checking for GLIB... no
    configure: error:
    Cannot find Glib2! If you are using binary packages based system, check that you
    have the corresponding -dev/devel packages installed.

I'm using the 2.6.24-18-generic kernel (I'm not sure if that is relevant).

I installed these already from synpatic: glibc-doc, libc6, libc6-pic, and libglib 1.2-dev. That's everyone that showed up with a search for "glib2".

Does anyone know what's up?

I tried the Audacious documentation but did not find anything.

Thank you,

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: glib2 error when trying to install Audacious

Why are you trying to compile audacious?

It is far easier to just install the package from the Ubuntu repositories.

You can type "sudo apt-get install audacious" or install it from the synaptic package manager by going to System - Administration - Synaptic package manager or from Add/Remove Programs.

Read this for more info: http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
    Or click on the help button and go to "Adding and Removing Software"

Beans

Thanks, that worked perfectly, and that's a really great link for newbies like me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cheers, installing stuff seems to be quite a problem for people new to Ubuntu and Linux as it is a lot different to in Windows. I find that once you understand the difference it's actually a lot easier to install stuff.

If you find something isn't available from the Ubuntu repositories or any other repository then you may be able to find a .deb file which is a debian package (similar to a .exe in Windows) at somewhere like http://www.getdeb.net/. Only for very new or obscure software should you have to compile source code.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Also, if you want to play mp3s you might need to install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. Not sure if this is needed for audacious but it is for rhythmbox. Read this: http://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Angry Re: glib2 error when trying to install Audacious

I realize this is an old thread, but it still seemed like the best place to add this comment:

Why install from source? In this case, because the repository is SO out-of-date. The version of Audacious in the Ubuntu repository is 2.5.3, but the latest release is 3.2.1. There are many new features in the latest release. I cannot install it from any third-party repository I've found (including webupd8). The only way I can see to get the latest release onto my laptop (running Kubuntu 10.04 (lucid)) is to compile from source.

At which point, I run into the same problem as the OP.
    Last edited by beerslayer; March 27th, 2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: disabled smiley (webupd8)