Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOTMGR gone, wont boot to Ubuntu from CD

Beans

BOOTMGR gone, wont boot to Ubuntu from CD

OK I had Ubuntu 7.10 64 and Vista on this box but Ubuntu started to play up. So I downloaded the newest Ubuntu CD and did another install over the old one. Not formatting the HOME folder or / folder.

Now when I try and boot I see the GRUB but if I select Vista it says BOOTMGR is missing.

I can boot into Vista from the Ubuntu CD but not into Ubuntu. I really don't want to lose my settings on the Ubuntu partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: BOOTMGR gone, wont boot to Ubuntu from CD

Use Super Grub. You can boot Vista, fix its MBR, etc. Then reinstall Grub:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bdiskpage.html
    Burn to disk and boot from it.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

OK used the Vista repair disk, couldn't make head nore tails of that Supergrub.exe thing.

Now I get

ERROR 22 PARTITION is missing

when I try to boot to Ubuntu.

Beans

Windows is not an other-OS-friendly OS. Its bootloader only looks after the related OS. I think when you installed the new Ubuntu, your Grub setup got messed up and the new Grub/new Ubuntu needs to be edited. When you try to boot Vista, your Grub bootloader is not looking after this OS loading so Vista thinks the bootloader for Vista is 'missing.'

I'm just guessing at all this so I advise you to search here for any instances of Vista/Ubuntu dual boots and even Windows (XP, for e.g.) dual booting with Ubuntu.

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by BorgCymru View Post
    OK I had Ubuntu 7.10 64 and Vista on this box but Ubuntu started to play up. So I downloaded the newest Ubuntu CD and did another install over the old one. Not formatting the HOME folder or / folder.

Now when I try and boot I see the GRUB but if I select Vista it says BOOTMGR is missing.

I can boot into Vista from the Ubuntu CD but not into Ubuntu. I really don't want to lose my settings on the Ubuntu partition.
    Boy, I sure do see a lot of instances of this very same problem on these forums !!!

I suppose that is just one of the reasons that I don't use M/S windows.

BUT after all this time, you would think someone would have come up with a solution to this problem !!!

And I know Ubuntu can't control what Windows does but it looks like to me if they know what it is doing, they could fix Ubuntu to work its way around the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Read Super Grub's Documentation. It can do just about everything for you if you learn to use it.

Libertad 584

Beans

Vista is working fine, its the Ubuntu that has the problems. It says it's not there. or hiding. I really want to update it from the live CD so I don't lose my info and stuff. How can I do that now ?

Beans

Doesn't that mean your grub entry is messed up? You have to re-edit your menu.1st file and put in your new Ubuntu install location? Your new install probably over-wrote your previous file?

Someone else should recognize the problem. I'm just learning so I will know how to partition and use grub. I want to have around 4 or 5 operating systems ultimately so I'm trying to learn a lot about grub etc.

Beans
    Distro

Boot your Live CD and post:
    sudo fdisk -lu

Libertad 584

Beans

I've just done another install of Ubuntu, and I still get the error 22 . This time I DID format the / partition. Still wont load from GRUB or live CD boot for first HDD options.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast