Thread: AcidRIp doesn't see DVD subtitles

Beans

AcidRIp doesn't see DVD subtitles

I've tried a bunch of different apps to convert my DVDs to XVid, and the best results I've gotten are with AcidRip. My problem: I have a fair few foreign language movies, so ripping the English subtitles is important, but AcidRip doesn't see the subtitle tracks in any of my ISOs.

I've gotten .srt's from opensubtitles.com, but I've got no idea how to add the .srt to the video in AcidRip, not as soft- or hard-subs.

Failing taking the subs directly from the ISO, is there a way to use AcidRip to add an external subtitle file?
    Last edited by Shampyon; July 6th, 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Beans

Re: AcidRIp doesn't see DVD subtitles

Bumping and clarifying.

I messed up when I said "not as soft- or hard-subs." That's pretty obviously impossible. Really should proof-read before I post.

I should have said "Not as a separate subtitle file, nor as hard-subs."

It's odd, because I can see the subtitle tracks when I open the ISO in k9Copy, but AcidRip doesn't see them at all.

Beans

Bump again. Over a month and still no clues. Haven't found any other resources that have given me even the slightest clue as to why AcidRip doesn't detect the subtitles from ISOs.

Beans

I don't have an alternate solution, but I use AcidRip too, and it recognizes my subtitles, so maybe we can fix that problem instead of finding an alternative.

So I imagine you already know what I'm about to say, but just so that we're on the same page:

1) Make sure to mount the ISO
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/bar
    sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 foo.iso /tmp/bar
    2) choose, under video path: /tmp/bar
    3) Under "other stuff" in the general tab, subtitles should be offered beyond a simple <None>

Okay, so assuming that's business as usual...have you tried putting in an old-fashioned DVD and seeing if that DVD has subtitles? Does acidrip ever give you subtitle options?

Also, have you tried uninstalling, cleaning up your system, and then reinstalling?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge acidrip
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get install acidrip
    also, you can go into synaptic to make sure that all the dependencies are there. They should be: perl (>=5.6.0-16), libgtk2-perl, lsdvd (>=0.10), mplayer, mencoder. Apt-get should take care of these, but just to make sure

Hope I gave you some ideas. I have no idea what the actual problem might be, but maybe this'll be a start
    Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted -Randy Pausch

Shameless Plug: wpa_supplicant Configuration Manager

Beans

Also, I was just thinking about it
    and since AcidRip is based on mplayer, you can look at the massive man file for mplayer. I browsed it for a moment, and it seemed like if you were motivated you could probably figure it out.

Code:
    man mplayer
    (THEN..)
    /OSD/SUBTITLE
    should get you to a useful place

Beans

Oh, you're kidding! Mounting the ISO. That's all it took! I was opening the ISO directly with AcidRip. Since it detected the movie and was able to convert it I just assumed There was no difference between the way it treats normal ISOs and mounted ones. Mounting it and opening the directory, it detected everything. Four weeks of wringing my hands wondering what was wrong and it was that simple!

Thanks for your help

(Yeesh, where's my "how embarrasing" emoticon...)

Beans

glad I could help

enjoy

Beans

This was posted long time ago, but I have similar issue and I dont know how to solve it ...
    i am trying to rip a DVD (from DVD disc not image.iso) wit subtitles.
    I can see option under "other stuff" to choose subtitles.
    But still DVD is ripped but without subtitles...

I hope it is solvable ...

best
    Z

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Old thread closed.

It's best for both you and people attempting to help you if you stick with one question per thread. I've moved your other post to its own thread here