Thread: Synaptic package and firewall

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Synaptic package and firewall

Hi, im running a dedicated webserver and have just got round to installing Guarddog to replace ufw as my firewall. VNC, SSH, http etc all work perfecto but its blocking the synaptic package installer/update manager. Any ideas as to what other ports i should try opening to let it work?

cheers

(oh, and if guarddog is a bad choice then let me know as eventually my website will be saving personal info nd i wouldnt be too popular if i got hacked now would i!)

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Synaptic package and firewall

Quote Originally Posted by isellapples View Post
    Hi, im running a dedicated webserver and have just got round to installing Guarddog to replace ufw as my firewall. VNC, SSH, http etc all work perfecto but its blocking the synaptic package installer/update manager. Any ideas as to what other ports i should try opening to let it work?
    Synaptic is a client not a server so it would appear you are blocking outgoing requests to port 22 or port 80 on the remote machine. A proxy problem? An IP address problem?

(oh, and if guarddog is a bad choice then let me know as eventually my website will be saving personal info nd i wouldnt be too popular if i got hacked now would i!)
    I'd expect the way the webserver is set up to have more bearing on the safety of personal data than what could be provided by a firewall.
    Brian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Synaptic package and firewall

ah that did it i forgot to enable port 22 for internet connections - only had it on local, which would explain why SSH appeared to be working fine for me. taa for pointing out what i should have realised