Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

Beans

Re: 8.04 randomly freezing requiring hard shut down, caps and scroll lock flash

Quote Originally Posted by ballin View Post
    I have just got this for the first time.

I am running 8.04 on a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.

It 99% of the time runs on AC power with ethernet connection.
    For the first time in ages I had it on batteries with wlan.

This is when it crashed, so I wonder if it something to do with either being on battery and/or using wlan for me.

Will investigate further soon and report back.
    This is DEFINITELY a problem of kernel/WLAN/Dell combination

I guess there is nothing we can do apart cross our fingers and hope one of the next kernel releases or WLAN driver fixes the fuxxxxing bug

I noticed the PC does not hang suddendly, but has some slowdown just before hanging. If you are moving the mouse you can notice it because the pointer stops responding for half a second. If you stop from moving it the pc doesn't crash, if you insist moving, it crashes. I tried this several times.

Ouch! It seems like I'm doing some kind of medical diagnosis on an obscure disease, instead of just using my PC...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Oh yes, I've noticed the same slight lag with the pointer too.

But it has happened to me without noticing any lagging as well!

I've noticed too that when the pointer begins stepping around, if I just stop any "stimuli" on the mouse... sometimes, it just comes back and keeps herself alive... but if you "drag" the mouse a "little bit too much" (whatever that may take)... KAPUT!

I've blisters on my fingers as they've been crossing too long.

Has anyone catched anything interesting in system logs...?

My box... just goes out... logs have a gap right there...

Saludos amigos.
    A.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I totally get the cursor slow down just before the freeze!
    -user error

| I enjoy Linux! | Using 64bit Ubuntu! |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah this has happend to me also, only a couple of times, I cant remember what i was doing at the time so i cant reproduce the situation, but yeah i just get caplocks+scroll lock+num lock then bam everything freezes, had to reboot.

Beans

The freeze seems to happen only when using X

I tried switching to a text console and the problem simply does not happen any more

The kernal panic comes just before anithyng is written on disk, either logs or dmesg, so don't expect to be able to understand anything.

Plus, it has nothing to do with the CPU temperature, it happens even a few seconds after system bootup.

It could have something to do with APIC and SMP as noticed here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...random+freezes

and here
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-panic-605805/

and here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-480262.html

It seems like starting it with apic=off parameter solves the problem sometimes

BTW, when it's only a matter of text console, linux is as solid as a rock, but when graphics, plug&play and other desktop amenities get really complicated, it starts showing its limits.

And it is NOT hardware issue, since windows XP works like a charm on the same hardware, and even with a VERY messy configuration...

Beans

So the new distro of Ubuntu won't be coming out till fall? Is there a possibility that this problem will be fixed in 8.10? Since it's obviously not a user-error issue, but an issue with the software itself, we need programmers to get on this.

Beans

I agree with Gryphelyse this is a big problem, you cannot recomand to any professional Ubuntu with a freezing risk...Mark Shuttlewoth HELP!

Now coming to the fact, I experienced many FREEZE 3 weeks ago. Then after some updates....no more freeze.....With the update of the kernel yesterday....bad movie "THE RETURN OF THE FREEZE"

So 2 things have to be done...RETURN TO THE PREVIUOS KERNEL IMMEDIATELY!

second compare the kernel of the last update with the previuous one!

I am sure that you thought to do that.....but I am SHOCKED that I have no update tonight returning to the previous kernel....which as the first message of this thread declare....was a "NO FREEZE" Kernel

Thanks for doing that fast....we are using Ubuntu to work, BY JOVE!

Francesco

PS: I LOVE HARDY!

Beans

Francesco, the kernel you returned to that is no longer freezing - could you give me a link to an ISO with that kernel? I have tried installing Dapper, but as soon as it starts up the options screen, I try to click "install" and it comes back with "Buffer I/O Error: Cannot Read from Boot Disk." This happens no matter what program I use to burn the CD or what speed I burn it at.

Beans

I am not enough qualified to realy undestand wat's going on. So do not rely to much on what i will write.It seems to me that the last update was 2.64.24-19.36 I guess the previuos state of the kernel was 2.64.24-19.34. As the FREEZE is random I might just have been lucky for 10 days or so without freeze. It is very regretful that the Ubuntu Staff seems deaf and dumb regarding these forums. As they are qualified they can sometimes prevent many errors....or malicious command. Regarding this freeze problem which is so important I would like to rely on somebody more qualified than myself.

By the way I will try to track the kernel versions through synaptic because the number of the versions seems to be confusing in the boot menu and uname (Thanks to anybody qualified to quote invalid talking in my post)

Very sorry Gryphe Elyse....I do my best wich is not much....

Francesco

Beans

I personally tried three different kernel versions, and the crash always happened.

Tried starting with noapic, but crashed again

I noticed that if you are fast enough to switch to a text console just before everything hangs, the kernel will record an error regarding a lost sync with the mouse driver, which I believe is the reason the mouse slows down.

I was not able to understand whether the lost sync is a cause or an effect of the bug.

In case another confirmation is needed, the problem definitely goes away if you switch off the wireless card.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast