Thread: Which version of Ubuntu 8.04 should I install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Which version of Ubuntu 8.04 should I install?

I'm about to get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ 2.50GHz and do a clean install.
    Will this want standard Ubuntu of 64 bit?

Cheers
    Damian

Beans

Re: Which version of Ubuntu 8.04 should I install?

Installing 32bit will not give you more trouble than 64bit. But I'd go for 64bit anyways, what's the point of having a 64bit processor if you only feed it with 32bit instructions...
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Does that mean the 64 bit version will give me more trouble, but I should do it anyway?

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Daminator View Post
    Does that mean the 64 bit version will give me more trouble, but I should do it anyway?
    My "guess" is that at this point in time there is a fairly good chance that you may have some problems, but then again you may not. If I was opting for a good stable performer with the least likely chance of problems, I would install the 32bit. If I wanted to take a chance I would give the 64bit a shot. If you try the 64bit there is nothing that says you can not go back to the 32bit version.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a 64 bit core 2 duo and from the very start have used the 64 bit. Only extra problem I had was flash in 7.10 but in 8.04 just enter in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
    then your good to go!

Beans

I meant that you won't have more problems by installing 64bit. The only minor point of 64 bit (just my opinion) is the sun-java-plugin which is not yet available for 64 bit. This will change in the next java version and there already exists a alternative for the plugin: icedtea. This icedtea works perfect for me btw.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans

Not surprisingly, there is a reason why 32-bit Ubuntu is the default download at ubuntu.com. Some explanation:
    http://ubuntutip.googlepages.com/getubuntu