Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vnc authentication failed (hardy)

Beans

vnc authentication failed (hardy)

I tried to change the port and enable authentication via the remote desktop gui. It didn't work so I turned off authentication and put the port back to default.

Somehow though, my configuration has become trashed because, typically, I cannot access my desktop now with the settings I had before. I suspect it is still expecting authentication because I get an authentication to host failed message.

How can I undo the mess created by a simple gui and get it working again?

Beans

Re: vnc authentication failed (hardy)

someone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Not quite sure what you're saying - you mean you have a VNC connection to a remote machine, and using VNC you tried to change the port and authentication settings in the VNC client on the remote machine?

Now you've tried to set the remote machine's VNC settings to what they were originally (ie no authentication and default port), and you can no longer access that machine by VNC?

Can you not access the remote machine directly any way and sort it out locally?

include <lightstream.h>

Beans

No, I mean I have a machine with a vnc server installed and enabled encrpytion and a port changed. Then I couldnt connect any longer using a remote viewer on a different machine. After putting the settings back to default on the vnc server, i still cannot connect with my remote viewer. I get this authentication error message by the remote viewer, despite putting the port back to 5900 on both the host and the remote viewr.

Beans

It seems that I am having the same problem. Did anyone happen to find out how to fix it? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Same problem here, trying to access from my notebook to my desktop computer, I configure the password correctly and it says authentification failed.

Beans

In the password field for Remote Server, try holding down the backspace key for a while, even after the * characters have been deleted.

It seems like there is a bug when changing passwords in that the old one doesn't get overwritten correctly.

Beans

That is a strange bug, I couldn't beleive it actually worked. Thanks hydrogennz.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Angry Re: vnc authentication failed (hardy)

Thanks also from me, hydrogennz. As of December 6, 2008 in 2.6.24-22-generic and Hardy Heron 8.04, this bug still exists.

So if you get the failed to authenicate from your remote machine, log into your local desktop, then System->Preferences->Remote Desktop, position your cursor in the password edit window and lay down on the back space key until it squeals.

LJ

Beans

Wow. I can't believe it worked either

Thanks man!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast