Thread: Help with PCI Card - Laptop

Beans

Question Help with PCI Card - Laptop

Hi, i'm new to ubuntu, i managed to get it running on 1 computer, and it worked well and i learned a ton so i decided to put it onto a laptop as well - now i'm using the Gutsy server disc (the first computer acts as a server for me) but on the laptop everything works fine, exect the PC card - now it's a

Gateway M5309 Laptop
    EDIMAX ew-7107 Wireless 'cardbus wireless lan' it's the larger card thats roughly 1.5"tall 3.5" long

when i insert it into the laptop, the lights do not flash - when i load the .inf files into ndiswrapper they say they are invalid files, when i use lspci i get a pci adapter, but not the name of the card or a chipset number - i can't seem to find what i'm Looking for - is this a problem with
    a) my card?
    b) my laptop?
    c) my install?

any help is VERY greatly appreciated, i have beginner's knowledge of ye olde ubuntu i will try to download the newest desktop install cd and try from there, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to fix this

thanks in advance!
    -Sariel

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Help with PCI Card - Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Sariel42 View Post
    Hi, i'm new to ubuntu, i managed to get it running on 1 computer, and it worked well and i learned a ton so i decided to put it onto a laptop as well - now i'm using the Gutsy server disc (the first computer acts as a server for me) but on the laptop everything works fine, exect the PC card - now it's a

Gateway M5309 Laptop
    EDIMAX ew-7107 Wireless 'cardbus wireless lan' it's the larger card thats roughly 1.5"tall 3.5" long

when i insert it into the laptop, the lights do not flash - when i load the .inf files into ndiswrapper they say they are invalid files, when i use lspci i get a pci adapter, but not the name of the card or a chipset number - i can't seem to find what i'm Looking for - is this a problem with
    a) my card?
    b) my laptop?
    c) my install?

any help is VERY greatly appreciated, i have beginner's knowledge of ye olde ubuntu i will try to download the newest desktop install cd and try from there, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to fix this

thanks in advance!
    -Sariel
    You might check lshw -C network and see if anything shows up for it. Another place that you might check is lsusb (probably won't be in there if you do see the card in lspci). You could also check and see if lspci -nnm shows anything. It should give you the id numbers for the card if it finds anything.