Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Code Snippets Repository

Beans

Code Snippets Repository

Hiya i've been looking around all day for a good standalone tool to keep all my code snippets in but after not finding any i decided to start writing my own. I've got a pretty much working version that saves all the snippets into a sqlite database. I eventually plan on writing a web backend so all the scripts can be shared\backed up on a webserver and people can view other peoples snippets. Anyway i was wondering if anyone else was interested in this idea? I've started writing it in C# (Using monodevelop)
    Picture Included ^-^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Code Snippets Repository

Cool idea, id use it.

It would be great to have a web application that implements this functionality. This web application could be deployed to the intranet of a software development company to be shared by a software development team.

A bit like an internal code wiki, but tuned to hosting code snippets.

(Just an idea of where / how this idea of yours could be used)

So I guess id encourage you to get this functionality on to a web app.

The webs the future, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

a wiki, either desktop or web-based is obvious simple solution for this, and more universal, too.

You can get free wiki at any wikifarm - wikidot.com is my currently most preferred

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah, looks like a cool little app; would be nice for when working offline. I'm working on a site atm with a section for code snippets. I havent got around to setting it up so other people can create accounts and add their own, but this is what I have so far:
    http://grundez.net/

Edit: oh an it looks broken unless you have Windoze font, I still have a lot to fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    a wiki, either desktop or web-based is obvious simple solution for this, and more universal, too.

You can get free wiki at any wikifarm - wikidot.com is my currently most preferred
    Yeah a Wiki is the simple way to go...

We use mediawiki for our intranet. I find wiki's are ok for this type of functionality, but there may be an opportunity to produce something that is specifically tuned for this code snippet functionality.

EDIT: ikex, having thought about it some more I do quite like the idea of having a personal desktop app to store my code snippets. Alot of the code I work on is commercially sensitive so its good for me to keep these code snippets private.
    Last edited by tinny; September 11th, 2008 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Its also nice since you dont have to wait for pages to load or depend on service availability.

Beans

I've managed to fix alot of problems i was having (Mainly due to never programming with the GTK toolkit before) its pretty much functional (althought not very userfriendly) and thanks to gtksourceview has brace detection and highlighting. Atm i can't create a toolbar monodevelop decides to freeze everytime i add one so i made a few buttons at the top to add remove snippets, and i've started writing the sharing bit so people can click Share on a snippet to upload it to an online site(eventually i'll write a gtk frontend for people to browse\add other peoples snippets). This way also if people don't want to share they don't have to its all still stored locally ^__^. I hope that makes much sense i just woke up from not sleeping 3 days haha. I still got to add a systray icon and i was thinking maybe global shortcuts? so you can automatically paste snippets into any editor\ide etc. (I'm just doing a makefile now then i'll upload the sources for people to try out) seeing as its in C# i wanna see how portable it is to run on windows aswell (would be nice to be able to chuck it on a usb stick and use anywhere).

^___^

Beans

Neat....I'd use it, especially once I start developing more in Linux instead of Windows.

Beans

Heres the code of what i've done so far!. Theres binaries in bin/Debug.
    Still alot more to do. Im glad other people besides myself would find something like this useful ^_^. (if you poke around the code i know its pretty messy and not very productive but im working on it!)

now time for breakfast
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I use a wiki to manage my code snippets (When I remember to update it..).

they are easy they have built in search, categories. auto generated menus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast