Thread: [SOLVED] MAJOR firefox error, cannot see any text

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] MAJOR firefox error, cannot see any text

When I open up facebook or ubuntu forums I cannot see any text at all. In ubuntu forums I can see the Absolute Beginner Talk banner and thats it (and ubunut forums in the top left corner).

In facebook I can't see anything except the input boxes.

I get the following error in the terminal:

Code:
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetMIMEDescription
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetMIMEDescription return
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetValue
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetValue: returning plugin name.
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetValue return
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetValue
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetValue: returning plugin description.
    GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f148: NP_GetValue return

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana 8.515625'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana 8.25'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana 8.25', text='English Hello'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana 8.515625', text=' '

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana 10.064453125'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana 9.75'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana 9.75', text='English Hello'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana 10.064453125', text=' '

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Bold 10.837890625'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Bold 10.5'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana Bold 10.5', text='English Hello'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana Bold 10.837890625', text=' '

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Bold 10.064453125'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Bold 9.75'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana Bold 9.75', text='English Hello'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana Bold 10.064453125', text=' '

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Bold 8.515625'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana Bold 8.25'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana Bold 8.25', text='English Hello'

(firefox:7841): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Verdana Bold 8.515625', text=' '
    The only things I can think of that have changed are Wine wanted to install a Gecko engine. I though this might be the problem so I uninstalled wine, no effect.

Otherwise I copied some .ttf fonts to the font folder. Thats pretty much it.

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: MAJOR firefox error, cannot see any text

Solved: Seems adding the .ttf fonts was what caused the problem!

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] MAJOR firefox error, cannot see any text

I was also having the same problem.

After running firefox using the terminal, I was able to figure out that this was caused by a font that I had attempted to install. Deleting the ~/.fonts folder fixed the problem.

I think this was also the cause of firefox crashing. Every time I tried to log into ubuntuforums it would instantly shut down and give me a 'segmentation fault' error.