Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3 release megathread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Re: Firefox 3 beta 4 is out

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenFox View Post
    You can't have swiftfox and firefox or whatnot -open- at the same time. Close one, wait a second, then open the other and it will open the right one. At least, that's how it worked for me. This way I can have both ff 2.0.0.12 and the latest firefox at the same time.
    Thanks! I got it working now.

Beans

Re: Firefox 3 beta 4 is out

Quote Originally Posted by Kakihara View Post
    I am getting
    Code:
    Error: in guard: symbol required but got: Error: fatal: looped fatal error
    when running ./firefox

and
    Code:
    ./firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libjemalloc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    when running ./firefox-bin

libjemalloc.so is present in the same directory.
    Ubuntu 7.10
    anybody experienced this? any suggestion?
    I've got the same problem on Mandriva 2008 - it's nothing specific to Ubuntu. Also using 2.6.22.18 kernel.

Really annoying, because all the other betas have worked just fine.

Michael Kimsal
    http://michaelkimsal.com/blog

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by mgkimsal View Post
    I've got the same problem on Mandriva 2008 - it's nothing specific to Ubuntu. Also using 2.6.22.18 kernel.

Really annoying, because all the other betas have worked just fine.

Michael Kimsal
    http://michaelkimsal.com/blog
    I've got the same problem on Ubuntu... And google is turning nothing up. When I try to run it in the local desktop directory, it says it, as well as if I put it in /usr/lib/firefox... Have you found anything about it yet?

EDIT:
    Actually, mine's not exactly the same. Mine says:
    Code:
    Error: in (function call): procedure or syntax required but got: Error: fatal: looped fatal error
    Yet I do get the same error in firefox-bin.
    Last edited by mrpeenut24; March 13th, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
    Dell XPS M1530
    Core 2 Duo T8100 @ 2.10GHz | 4GB RAM
    320GB HDD | 256MB nVidia GeForce Go 8600M GT
    Registered Linux User: #441660 | Registered Ubuntu User: #11700

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

those who got used to swiftfox you can switch to Swiftweasel. (not joking ) It's not closed source and about performance even better than swiftfox. Downloads here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=195473
    Also includes .tar.gz for 64bit. beta4 already there. .deb will come soon, I guess.

[url]http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org[/urll]

There's also a repository for different ubuntu versions:
    http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org/wik...php5?title=Apt
    For gutsy it's
    Code:
    deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/swiftweasel gutsy multiverse
    There seems to be no APT-Key (so far), so you will get an unauthenticated warning in synaptic. Please note, the repository does not include firefox3 builds you have to download them manually.
    Last edited by ChrisNiemy; March 14th, 2008 at 08:46 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeenut24 View Post
    I've got the same problem on Ubuntu... And google is turning nothing up. When I try to run it in the local desktop directory, it says it, as well as if I put it in /usr/lib/firefox... Have you found anything about it yet?

EDIT:
    Actually, mine's not exactly the same. Mine says:
    Code:
    Error: in (function call): procedure or syntax required but got: Error: fatal: looped fatal error
    Yet I do get the same error in firefox-bin.
    Removing uim (japanese/chinese/... input) made the firefox 3b4 run. Upgrade to newer version of uim should also help, but it's not yet in gutsy repos...

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I had scim installed, but I believe I had removed it at that point. It doesn't matter much (for me) now, as I've recently upgraded to Hardy, which has FF 3.0b4 in the repositories.

*For those wondering, Hardy works pretty well for me. No problems as of yet. I've also got Envy's nVidia driver enabled.
    Dell XPS M1530
    Core 2 Duo T8100 @ 2.10GHz | 4GB RAM
    320GB HDD | 256MB nVidia GeForce Go 8600M GT
    Registered Linux User: #441660 | Registered Ubuntu User: #11700

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Swiftweasel was a great tip. Thanks a bunch.application. According to Wikipedia, it's completely compatible with all FF extensions and themes, and it has AdBlock built in already.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Has anybody else had problems with Swiftfox incorrectly rendering Gmail? After a Swiftfox update a few weeks ago the drop down menus on the left pane (Chat, Labels, etc.) do not show their content. For example the Chat menu will indicate it is expanded but there will be no names or anything listed under it. In FF2 or any other browser this never happens. I suspect it may have something to do with the scripting Gmail uses? I have the NoScript extension but google.com is allowed so this shouldn't be a factor.

Anybody else have this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Firefox 3 release megathread

The Mozilla folks are trying to make Firefox 3 the most downloaded software on a day, and YOU can help them!
    Just go to the Download Day 2008(which is the project's home page) and click the PLEDGE button. Total Pledges: 368,409 and counting... ( Friday the 30th May at 6:50 pm)

This was taking from the site:

Set a Guinness World Record
    Enjoy a Better Web

Sounds like a good deal, right? All you have to do is get Firefox 3 during Download Day to help set the record for most software downloads in 24 hours - it’s that easy. We're not asking you to swallow a sword or to balance 30 spoons on your face, although that would be kind of awesome.

By the way, the official date for the launch of Firefox 3 will be posted here soon - so check back! Join our community and this effort by pledging today.

Got questions? Check out the FAQ or reply to this thread.
    Last edited by IHATEDLINK; May 30th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.
    If the above was useful to you please thank me by clicking the star button at the bottom-right of the post.
    Miss iTunes? Check out the iTunes Linux Project!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Make Firefox win a Guiness World Record!

381,209 people already. I wonder if servers will be able to keep up, lol.
    The command line is a powerful tool. You should not type a command unless you know what it does.

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast