Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use Geek Squad recovery discs to reinstall Windows? Can I reinstall MS Office?

Beans

If I reinstall Windows, can I reinstall CD-Key software like MS Office or MS Student?

If I reinstall Windows Vista (first time ever reinstalling Windows), then will I be able to reinstall CD-Key licensed software such as Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Student 2007, PC Games (Supreme Commander, specifically), and more?

I don't know how this stuff works so any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks. I feel so right now.
    Last edited by Redrazor39; June 14th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.
    Yup, that's pretty much how this place works

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can I use Geek Squad recovery discs to reinstall Windows? Can I reinstall MS Offi

As far as I know, recovery disks restore the computer to exactly the same state you bought it in. If you bought it with Vista and Office already installed, the recovery disks should bring you back to that place.

Beans

Re: Can I use Geek Squad recovery discs to reinstall Windows? Can I reinstall MS Offi

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    As far as I know, recovery disks restore the computer to exactly the same state you bought it in. If you bought it with Vista and Office already installed, the recovery disks should bring you back to that place.
    Not if they installed it separately, as they often do when you buy a computer. The restore disks only restore to the original OEM state, not what Best Buy did after.

Beans

that's great. I've been installing and uninstalling freeware/trialware/etc.ware and I think I really need to reinstall Windows, but I need a definite answer about the CD-Key thing. I know LaRoza told me that I can just call them up for a new key, but I'm not so sure about that and I don't want to end up with a $400 bill for all the software that doesn't work.
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If it's legally purchased software from MS than what's the problem? Reinstall Windows from the CD(s) provided they are actual Vista installer w/ drivers, etc from OEM and not some registry back-up CD the Geek Squad made. Once OS is installed, reinstall the apps. If they are legal and you receive crap from the 'Windows Genuine Advantage' update that I'm sure will come around the pike when installing SP1 give MS a call and clear it up with them... You may wait a few minutes but nothing like waiting on hold for a cell phone company.

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

They are perfectly legal. I purchased it all at Best Buy (never again...) and all of it has the sticker. I just wanted to be sure that entering the old CD-code wouldn't give me an error like "already installed on X machines" or something stupid like that.
    but then I get again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'd suggest imaging your Hard Drive first, then if it don't work out you can restore the disk to how it was. I use Acronis True Image, but Clonezilla or Ghost For Linux, or I think, Partimage will do a similar job, and are free.
    Btw, if you haven't disabled it or deleted old Restore Points, you could get back to almost how you was without reinstalling using System Restore. If it don't work you still have the option to reinstall
    Desktop: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 Core 2 Duo 6300 1 GB Dual channel DDR 2 Nvidia 7300 GS
    Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2515 Intel T5450 Core 2 Duo 2 GB Dual Channel DDR2 Ram 160gb HDD (Vista/Linux Mint 5)
    [Missing OMGPP]

Beans

I don't want to bother with too much stuff-- I don't want to end up with a corrupted hard drive!

Since school is over, I don't have any important data on that computer, really, that isn't on some other computer or something. Maybe one or two iTunes songs, but I can just e-mail them to myself for a diff. computer (I'm centralizing all my iTunes on our Mac)

All I really care about are the programs I paid for and some freeware I can always get back later.
    but then I get again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

You may not need it, but BELARC advisor is a free utility that will give you the License keys information, type of hardware and help points to the type drivers your computer uses. If doing a reinstall, it may be a good thing to have all the information handy just in case. There is no spyware or malware and many professionals use it.
    Your TV might soon be obsolete...find out at https://www.dtv2009.gov/
    Close the Windows and "open" the "source" . 2008 is the year for Linux

Beans

I'll look into that.

But I found the CD-Keys for the software except for Microsoft Student, but I don't think that has a CD Key o_O

Now I just have to explain this whole fiasco to my parents and make sure they understand this is a heck of a lot better than going to Geek Squad for the 10th time (literally) for this computer. They're really sick of that place.

The only thing is they'll be really mad at me if I screw it up and if the CDs don't work or something.

My last (I think) question is this: If I screw up and my HDD gets corrupted or something or the CD doesn't work and I end up with a $2200 paperweight, then do any of you know if the Product Service Plan at Best Buy will cover that? Will I have voided the warranty by trying to reinstall (they'll never know I installed Linux on it if my HDD is totally wiped and screwed, but that might not happen. I just want to be sure in case it does happen.
    but then I get again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast