Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Change the default usplash colors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

HOWTO: Change the default usplash colors

* EDIT * - Due to several people reporting problems on thier setups with this, and new distro releases, etc... I would advise that the wiki article be considered before this topic, as I can no longer test or troubleshoot this method, myself (though, I can't test the wiki method either.) The wiki article is here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/US...omizationHowto

I wrote this HOWTO because I've noticed that myself and some other people have trouble reading the default usplash screen, and also because I wanted mine to be blue. I've included a few files as attachments, one for the default brown usplash, one that's color-shifted to be blue, and one with a custom olive palette. All are optimized for brighter text and a more obvious progress bar background, and each will still use the default red failure color for failed steps.

This HOWTO was derived from the wiki page found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USplashCustomizationHowto , but modified for a bit more user-friendliness (I hope,) and to accomodate ease of use with the files that I made. This was written with usplash (0.1-22) in mind, as future versions of usplash may be subject to change.

If you wish to try one of the usplash image replacements that I have attached below, the process takes only a few minutes, and is relatively painless. Note that step one, installing the gcc and libbogl-dev packages, may install a few development packages as dependencies, and may take awhile on dial-up connections.

Download either the usplash-fix.png, usplash-blue.png, or usplash-olive.png (see attachments at the bottom of this post) file to your ~/ (home) directory, and open a terminal (it should start you in your ~/ directory, but enter cd ~/ if you're not sure.) Then follow these steps:

1. Install the GCC and BOGL packages needed:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gcc libbogl-dev
    2. Enter only the line below that matches whichever file that you downloaded:

Code:
    cp usplash-fix.png usplash-artwork.png
    cp usplash-blue.png usplash-artwork.png
    cp usplash-olive.png usplash-artwork.png
    3. Now enter each of these steps to build your usplash:

Code:
    pngtobogl usplash-artwork.png > usplash-artwork.c
    gcc -Os -g -I/usr/include/bogl -fPIC -c usplash-artwork.c -o usplash-artwork.o
    gcc -shared -Wl,-soname,usplash-artwork.so usplash-artwork.o -o usplash-fix.so
    4. Copy your usplash to the usplash directory and create a new link to it:

Code:
    sudo cp usplash-fix.so /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-fix.so
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-fix.so /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so
    5. Regenerate the initramfs:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)
    * EDIT * - Please note that the output of the last step may include the message "splash image... none found, skipping...", which does not affect usplash in any way. It is a function of the /sbin/update-grub script which is executed while reconfiguring the linux-image package, and only displays if you've never previously set up the optional grub splash image, which would display before usplash would, and is an entirely separate splash image meant for the grub menu alone.

DONE! The resulting usplash file will be /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-fix.so, and the next time you boot ubuntu, you should see the new usplash.

You'll be left with 4 extra files that you can delete in ~/ if you wish:

Code:
    rm usplash-artwork.o usplash-artwork.c usplash-artwork.png usplash-fix.so

If you change your mind, then you can revert it back to the default usplash, by following these steps:

Code:
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-default.so /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)

If you're interested in further modifying your usplash, and wish to know what I did, here's a summary:

* Downloaded the source, available from this page: http://packages.ubuntu.com/breezy/misc/usplash
    * Took the original usplash-artwork.png file and swapped the palette entries to increase the visibility of entries 2, 4, and 8 (described below.) Swapped 2 with 7, then 4 with 7, and 8 with 9. Saved the resulting file as usplash-fix.png.
    * For the usplash-blue.png, I simply hue-shifted the entire palette of the usplash-fix.png so that thier RGB values swapped the R and B values.

Guidelines for the image format:

* The PNG must be: 640x480 16 colours.
    * Some palette entries are used for particular purposes:

Code:
    Palette Index | Used For
    -----------------------------------------
    0             | Background color
    0             | Text background color
    1             | Progress bar foreground color
    2             | 'Ok' text foreground color
    4             | Progress bar background color
    8             | Description text foreground color
    13            | 'Failed' text foreground color

The attachments (right-click > Save Link As...):

Brown:
    usplash-fix.png
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usplash-fix.png 
Views:	8586 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	3197

Blue:
    usplash-blue.png

Name:	usplash-blue.png 
Views:	16057 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	3198

Olive:
    usplash-olive.png

Name:	usplash-olive.png 
Views:	7657 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	3211
    Last edited by SilentCacophony; October 16th, 2006 at 07:52 AM. Reason: update & disclaimer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: HOWTO: Change the default usplash colors

Beautiful - maybe I'll activate Usplash again, if I can have in blue. I didn't care for it for a while, yet with this howto it looks like it's really worth a try.

Thanks,
    ember

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Nice work thanks for the effort the blue theme looks really smart

I had to download and install gcc as I got a error cause it wasnt installed on the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thanks.

I had to download and install gcc as I got a error cause it wasnt installed on the system.
    Ah. I deviated from what I wrote, as I use aptitude exclusively, and it seems that gcc is a 'recommend' of one of the packages. Aptitude installs those by default.

I've corrected the step above to include gcc. Thanks for pointing that out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you for posting this HOWTO. I am color blind so could barely see the default usplash. In a bright room, it was useless to me.

Blue is my favorite color, probably because I can see it clearly.

Bob
    Intel i7-920; Nvidia GT 220, 1GB; MSI X58 Pro-E; 6GB DDR; 64-bit mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Can somebody please make one based off the color #ADAE9B (or any other nice greenish color from the theme Clearlooks-GNOME)? I can't seem to figure out how to do it without screwing up the text and progress bar colors. I've been trying to figure this out for 3 hours now and haven't gotten any breakthroughs. I've been working hard at coordinating everything on my computer with this color, and the only thing left is usplash and the login splash screen.

Beans

For those like me who don't like the reflection below the logo, I've made two variants without reflections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usplash-blue.png 
Views:	2233 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	3205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usplash-fix.png 
Views:	1194 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	3206  
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

That was great, Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Pretty slick.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thank you for the kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by rplantz
    Thank you for posting this HOWTO. I am color blind so could barely see the default usplash. In a bright room, it was useless to me.

Blue is my favorite color, probably because I can see it clearly.

Bob
    Glad to hear it helped. I wasn't sure if this would be help much for color-blindness.

Quote Originally Posted by dude2425
    Can somebody please make one based off the color #ADAE9B (or any other nice greenish color from the theme Clearlooks-GNOME)? I can't seem to figure out how to do it without screwing up the text and progress bar colors. I've been trying to figure this out for 3 hours now and haven't gotten any breakthroughs. I've been working hard at coordinating everything on my computer with this color, and the only thing left is usplash and the login splash screen.
    That color looks a bit olive-drab to me, similar to gperfection2, I think. Not an uncommon choice in colors. I'm adding another version in that color scheme, since you asked nicely. I didn't get that one to quite match the text color intensities of the other ones, but it's close.

Anyway, it is a bit tricky keeping the palette correct. I had trouble finding an image editor that handled limited-palette images like these in the way which I needed. I couldn't seem to get The Gimp to do much for me, so I resorted to an old copy of PaintShop Pro to do the pallete-swapping. I'll have to explore The Gimp a bit more, as I like that the best of any linux image editors I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    For those like me who don't like the reflection below the logo, I've made two variants without reflections.
    Nice. Thanks for adding.

Last edited by SilentCacophony; October 28th, 2005 at 06:05 AM.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast