Thread: Removing older grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Removing older grub

I have been upgrading whenever notified and like to stay up to date. BUT I now have in Grub (I have Linux on one drive and Windows on another, only because I need Windows to track my sugar) ver. 2.6.22-14 to 2.6.24-18. Not counting Windows I have 10 listings in Grub. The file and the recovery file. How can I safely remove these.
    Thank You.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Removing older grub

1. Open System -> Admin -> Synaptic
    2. Search for linux-image. This should list all the kernels installed on your system with a check box in green.
    3. Select the kernels (highlighed in green) you no longer need and Mark for Complete Removal.
    4. Click Apply.
    Synaptic automatically updates your GRUB with the changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Re: Removing older grub

Thank You. I appreciate the quick response and help. I just noticed where on the left it counts Thank yous. I have alway said thank you in the original message but that misses the counter. Again I appreciate all the help I have got from the Forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

have alway said thank you in the original message but that misses the counter.
    For an official thank you: Click on the blue ribbon with the gold star on the bottom right corner of a post.

For more information on kernel updates: Click on "drs305" in my signature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I recommend using StartUp-Manager to reduce the number of kernels viewed on the startup boot menu. StartUp-Manager has a lot of other options which you can safely modify. The link below discusses these options as well as how to manually edit menu.lst (if you must ).

HOWTO: Grub Menu Kernel Display Options