Thread: Mysql access denied for the mysql user

Beans

Mysql access denied for the mysql user

Sorry to bother, but I am new to Ubuntu. I have installed version 7.10 on a laptop and am generally happy with it.

I am however having issues with my sql. It will install but, I can not connect. My access is denied. I have searched the web and found that it could be an issue with apparmor which I uninstalled. This did not help. The error is consistent. I also have Firestarter installed. I did create a rule allowing access to the port 3306 on localhost.

I installed both using the synaptic installer and the apt-get process. Neither seemed to work.

I am wondering if I would be better off building mysql from source and installing it.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Beans

Re: Mysql access denied for the mysql user

Hi.

Follow the howto on this page. Follow the instructions for installing and configuring (the part labeled "after mysql") mysql 5 and hopefully that will resolve your problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How are you attempting to access the MySQL server? What application(s) is/are using it? Have you created a user -- and granted it access to the appropriate databases -- for those applications?
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

The short answer is that I was using the following command once the install was complete
    mysql -h localhost -u mysql -p

I did grep the ps -ef output and mysqld was running.

What I found on the Ubuntu forums linked apparmor to the issue, but an uninstall of that app and a reboot did nothing. I tried stopping my Firestarter but that did not help.

I tried starting the mysqld with --ignore-grant-tables but I got the same error as with mysql.

I tried to use mysqladmin but the only thing that it would do is give me a verbose help listing. It would do nothing else.

When I checked /etc/passwd, mysql was in there. When I checked /etc/group the group mysql was there, too. The grants/permissions on the directories showed mysql as both owner and group.

I tried adding the root password to the my.cnf for the user mysql. That also did nothing.

So, about 9:00 pm I ran out of things to try.

I am running an Ubuntu 7.10 that was upgraded from 7.04.

Thanks for the replies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The way I've always created new MySQL users is via the root MySQL user's shell. To reset the root password, you can run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server
    Then, log in (with the following command) and run any maintenance you need to:
    Code:
    mysql -u root -p
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

This is the result:

dennis@dennis-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server
    [sudo] password for dennis:
    dennis@dennis-laptop:~$ mysql -u root -p
    Enter password:
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

I am not sure I understand if there should be some kind of action I should see after running the dpkg-reconfigure command. It seemed to run very fast and did not query me for any input. I had assumed that I would be asked to enter a password or something?