Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] corrupted partition(need to recover)

Beans

[SOLVED] corrupted partition(need to recover)

I need to recover an encrypted ext3 partition, it tries to automount it during boot(its the /home partition) but it gives me an error about a bad superblock, I used the normal parameters when I made the partition so I need to know where the backup superblock is and if that doesn't work, maybe some more advanced recovery methods

Beans

Re: corrupted partition(need to recover)

Before I begin, let me say that I don't have any actual hands-on experience with encrypted ext3 file systems. I'm not totally certain what I'm telling you applies in this case, but it does work for non-encrypted volumes.

From the e2fsck manual page:

Code:
           -b superblock
                  Instead of using  the  normal  superblock,  use  an  alternative
                  superblock  specified  by  superblock.   This option is normally
                  used when the primary superblock has been corrupted.  The  loca‐
                  tion  of  the backup superblock is dependent on the filesystem’s
                  blocksize.   For  filesystems  with  1k  blocksizes,  a   backup
                  superblock  can  be found at block 8193; for filesystems with 2k
                  blocksizes, at block 16384; and  for  4k  blocksizes,  at  block

Additional  backup  superblocks  can  be determined by using the
                  mke2fs program using the  -n  option  to  print  out  where  the
                  superblocks were created.   The -b option to mke2fs, which spec‐
                  ifies blocksize of the filesystem must be specified in order for
                  the superblock locations that are printed out to be accurate.

If  an alternative superblock is specified and the filesystem is
                  not opened read-only, e2fsck will make  sure  that  the  primary
                  superblock  is  updated  appropriately  upon  completion  of the
                  filesystem check.
    The comment about using "mkfs -n" means you can do something like:

Code:
    $ sudo mkfs -n /dev/sdd1
    mke2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=4096 (log=2)
    Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
    9773056 inodes, 39072080 blocks
    1953604 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=0
    Maximum filesystem blocks=4294967296
    1193 block groups
    32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
    8192 inodes per group
    Superblock backups stored on blocks: 
    	32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208, 
    	4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872
    Notice that the last couple lines of output show you where all the superblock backups should be. You can use these numbers with "fsck -b ...".

It is ABSOLUTELY VITAL that you include the "-n" option, which means "show me what you would do, but don't actually create a new file system". Otherwise you'll end up blowing away all your data! Substitute the name of your partition for "/dev/sdd1" in the above example.
    Hal Pomeranz, Deer Run Associates
    [[ Various Linux/Unix related documents ]]
    [[ Command-Line Kung Fu blog ]]

Beans

ok, I tried that and finally found a valid superblock, I tried to run fsck but I got a lot of errors, here's what I got

Code:
    root@echo419:/# e2fsck -b 294912 /dev/sda5
    e2fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    Superblock has an invalid ext3 journal (inode 8).
    Clear<y>? yes

*** ext3 journal has been deleted - filesystem is now ext2 only ***

Resize inode not valid.  Recreate<y>? yes

/dev/sda5 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
    e2fsck: Illegal triply indirect block found while reading bad blocks inode
    This doesn't bode well, but we'll try to go on...
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Bad block inode has illegal block(s).  Clear<y>? no

Illegal block #0 (3964639546) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #1 (1673600430) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #2 (2328476011) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #3 (2762639274) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #4 (409569702) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #5 (3816775671) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #6 (1488741223) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #7 (32189806) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #8 (2851085601) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #9 (3503483399) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #10 (3616690042) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #11 (3013845196) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #-1 (3752925249) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #-2 (262176290) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Illegal block #-3 (2538493338) in bad block inode.  IGNORED.
    Error while iterating over blocks in inode 1: Illegal triply indirect block found
    Recreate journal to make the filesystem ext3 again?
    Fix<y>? yes

Creating journal (32768 blocks): Error : File exists 
            while trying to create journal
    e2fsck: aborted
    I didn't keep going because I didn't want to lose any data, do you think the errors are because of the encryption or have the files been corrupted

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ender305 View Post
    do you think the errors are because of the encryption or have the files been corrupted
    How exactly did you create the encrypted file system? Are you using the built-in cryptloop stuff in the kernel, or are you using some extra package like Truecrypt, or perhaps an encrypting hard drive? Are you doing full disk encryption, encrypting on a partition-by-partition basis, or creating an encrypted volume within an existing (non-encrypted) partition?

Beans

It uses cryptoloop and its encrypted on the partition level; I encrypted the partition using the standard encryption options in the alternate install cd.

Beans

It uses cryptoloop and its encrypted on the partition level; I encrypted the partition using the standard encryption options in the alternate install cd.
    Then I would speculate that the problems you were having with fsck were due to the encryption. I assume fsck was trying to treat the partition as an unencrypted volume and of course the superblocks, inodes, etc wouldn't be readable because they were encrypted.

Again, because I don't have a lot of experience with the built-in Linux disk encryption technology, I'm not sure how to advise you. For you to be able to fsck the file system, you'd have to get to the point where fsck can see the decrypted file system image. I'm not sure how to do that without mounting the volume (which of course you probably can't do because the file system is corrupted).

What's the state of your backups of the data in this partition?

Beans

haha, if the superblocks are encrypted, why was I able to find a valid backup superblock? the chances of that happening at random are approximately zero

Beans

haha, if the superblocks are encrypted, why was I able to find a valid backup superblock? the chances of that happening at random are approximately zero
    Mmmm, yeah. Unencrypted superblocks but encrypted data/inodes? Seems possible because the kernel would need to look at the superblocks to identify the type of file system. I'm just not clear on the technical implementation details.

Beans

this is kinda like a Catch 22, I have to mount the partition so its unencrypted and I can check it, but I cant mount it because its corrupter and I need to check it, there must be some way around this though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm new at working with encrypted file systems too, but I have these two links which I hope might be helpful, Running fsck on a LUKS encrypted partition in LVM, and Rescue an encrypted LUKS LVM volume.
    The first link looks as if it could be more applicable to Red Hat Linux, but it is about the subject of this thread.
    The second link is applicable to Ubuntu, but it's more about mounting, whch is different from what we're trying to do, but maybe the first half of it will be of some use.
    I hope some combination of the two will get the job done.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast