Thread: Ubuntu home server!

Beans

Ubuntu home server!

Hi!

I want to set up a home server at my parents hoouse.

Functions. Regular backup och data, shared music and video-directories, connection to a TV (from tv-out on the graphic card) and a small webbserver (the last one is not nescessary).

Could I use ubuntu server? Or is there a better OS?

Greetz
    /PJ

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu home server!

Yes, but you would need an x server running to kick out the TV, so install server then add a minimal desktop. You can still run this headless if you wish using vnc and ssh.
    No longer participating......

Beans

Agree with above.

But, look up the video card to see if other people have had success in Ubuntu with it. If you're buying see if there are Linux drivers available. I've never had intense graphic needs so I can't advise anymore than that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Depending on your needs and desires for the TV out, you should at least be aware of MythTV and its associated distro spawns: Mythbuntu, KnoppMyth, and probably more.

Do note that the older versions of KnoppMyth really were based on Knoppix, and so upgrading packages gets weird very quickly. The newer version I believe is debian based.

Do also note that MythTV and its associated projects can keep you busy for days if not months. It isn't known for being easy to setup.
    Please mark your thread as solved when appropriate. It benefits everyone.
    grep -r eth0 /etc -- Grep is how I find nearly any config file I've never met.
    Want to setup a router with Ubuntu? - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ShorewallBasics