Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Installation - System just keeps rebooting

Beans

Angry New Installation - System just keeps rebooting

Good morning I am totally new to ubuntu/linux and am havinga hard time just starting up my system. I was able to successfully install the new distribution from the alternat install cd. My system specs are as follows:

Soyo K8 USA Dragon Ultra MotherBoard
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+
    2GB RAM
    NVidia GEForce FX 5700 LE 256MB (AGP)
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 Sound Card (PCI)
    2 x 80 GB Seagate Barracuda HD
    CD-RW
    DVD-RW

I am not sure what could be the cause, this system setup is quite a few years old but the only thing that I can think of is a driver issue. Either the video card or the sound card. Sometimes the system will get all the way to the login screen and enter and then a few seconds later it will reboot. Other times it does not make it to the login screen. I had the same issue with this box when I orignally had Windows Vista Installed and found out that it was my video card and the NIC. I swapped those out for new ones and it worked fine. I also have another video card an ATI Radeon (not sure the model #) off hand. BUt have tried with this card to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Michael Reyeros

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: New Installation - System just keeps rebooting

First option: Check integrity of Ubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubunut boot screen menu.

Second option: Try installation using safe graphics mode.

Third option: Download, burn and use ALTERNATE CD version (text based) of Ubuntu to perform the O/S installation.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
    First option: Check integrity of Ubuntu CD by running the verification function that is found on the initial Ubunut boot screen menu.
    This was the first thing that I did when I downloaded the cd from the site.

Second option: Try installation using safe graphics mode.
    This I have not done.

Third option: Download, burn and use ALTERNATE CD version (text based) of Ubuntu to perform the O/S installation.
    This is how I installed the O/S
    Good luck.
    Any other help would be appreciated.

Beans

I know that there are others experienceing random reboots as well. Do you guys think that it is a hardware issue and that I need to change some parts or should I just try installing the 7.10 version instead of the 8.04 version?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mreyeros View Post
    I know that there are others experienceing random reboots as well. Do you guys think that it is a hardware issue and that I need to change some parts or should I just try installing the 7.10 version instead of the 8.04 version?
    I'm having the same issue WITH 7.10.

Beans
    Distro

Mreyeros:

Sounds like to me that you probably did the "SUMCHECK" of the downloaded ISO, BUT did you actually run the CD integrity function that is found on the INITIAL UBUNTU BOOT SCREEN MENU ?
    Last edited by wpshooter; June 11th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.

Beans

I downloaded the ISO mounted the image to a CD booted my box with the cd and ran the cd check from the ubuntu startup menu.

Beans

I know that this box is around 4-5 years old but I did not think that I would have this much trouble installing the O/S. I have seen some other posts that mention that reboots could be caused by a number of hardware related issues, one being the power supply. I may try swapping the power supply but is there any way that I can try to rule out hardware related issues. I did mention before that something similar happened when running vista on this same box and that is the only thing that tends to lean me more towards a hardware issue than software.

Beans
    Distro

I would boot the machine to the Live Ubuntu CD and choose the option to run memtest. If it reboots while it is running that then you can pretty much conclude that it is a hardware problem.

You could also make yourself a WIN98SE bootable diskette and boot to it and let the computer run and then if it reboots/turns off, then you pretty much know you have a hardware problem.

Good luck.

Beans

Yesterday before I left the house for work I left the computer running the memtest when I got home the memtest was still running (at least 8 hours) and had gone through 23 passes with no errors.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast