Thread: samba server without unix users

Beans

samba server without unix users

Hi,

i want to ask smt about SAMBA. installed a standalone samba server yesterday. I m working on it now.

Do I HAVE TO create a valid UNIX User just to share smb over windows network machines? I want to create a smb user only via smbpasswd command. How can i skip creating a unix user part? is there a way todo so ?

I dont want to crate a unix account first, then sync it with samba account. creating only a samba account must be enough to make my window client connect on my linux samba shared directories.

Beans

Re: samba server without unix users

The reason you need a unix account is so samba can restrict access to files according to permissions set on the filesystem. If the unix user doesn't have local permission to read a file, the samba user with the same name won't be able to read it either, regardless of the share's settings. I think you can disable the unix account, as long as the samba user is listed in /etc/passwd with a UID.
    Code:
    sudo passwd -l smbuser

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

will you be having multiple users all with unique permissions on particular shares, or are you only trying to not have to create your windows usernames on your linux box?

the smbusers file can map multiple names to one account if that helps at all. Some examples:
    http://htyp.org/smbusers

make sure
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    exists in your smb.conf file though (not sure if Samba creates it for you)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

or you could create unix users with restricted access so they cannot login by shell or somehow.