Thread: Ubuntu On A UMPC A Dream Come True !

Beans

Ubuntu On A UMPC A Dream Come True !

Hi All,

Ok I have Been Saving My Pennies For A While Now, And Because I Travel A Lot I want A UMPC ,To Do Work On While I Am Away From The Home Office.

But I Have Been Looking Around And Does Anyone Know Of A UMPC , Present OR Future That Can Run On Ubuntu Well Or Ships On Ubuntu? Because I really Like The OS And Think It Would Be Great To be Able To Take It With Me.

From What I Have Scene There Is A New Atom Processor Coming Out For UMPC's But I Don't Think For A While Yet But I Am Willing To Wait.

I Would Be Very Greatful For Any Help,

Thanks Ross.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu On A UMPC A Dream Come True !

Currently nothing that has been released comes with Ubuntu, but Mark Shuttleworth has indicated that OEMs are interested in putting the new Ubuntu Netbook Remix on future releases that have the Intel Atom processor. Be patient... or go with another distro.

I wouldn't recommend installing Ubuntu on the Eee. I tried it, and too much stuff does not work. Worse yet, the boot time is extremely long.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I run Ubuntu Hardy very well on the EeePC. The boot time can be tweaked also. Removing unneeded services etc. Out of interest, what are you running on your Eee?

Dell recently announced their UMPC (Eee crushing) offering and it is said to include Ubuntu out of the box.

See here for some brief spec detail
    http://www.miniinspiron.net/dell-e/d...a-name-dell-e/
    Last edited by steve_pearce; June 15th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If I had an Eee I'd run either Fluxbuntu, Minimal Debian install, or Gentoo

Though I'd have to try Ubuntu netbook remix when it's release, it looks promising

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm writing this on an eeePC out on my patio with a wifi connection and it works without a problem. This is a stock 701 with 512MB of RAM and it handles everything I've thrown at it without a problem.

There are some install issues with 8.04 but these are easily overcmoe by following the instructions here http://eee.ricey.co.uk./ and using the install script to add the missing items for wifi etc.

If you need something now then I can recommend the Asus eeePC. There are other UMPC notebooks in the pipeline but it''s anyones guess when they will arrive.

As for boot time I find mine boots in about the same tine as my desktop running OpenSUSE 10.3. It's not as fast as the stock OS that ships with the eeePC but is isn't any longer than a standard PC.