Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make .deb from source or binary??

Beans
    Hidden!

how to make .deb from source or binary??

hi all
    im new here and i wnana know how to make .deb from source code or binary code

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: how to make .deb from source or binary??

Hello,
    you can watch MOTU videos on Ubuntu Developer channel on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyEl3w7SFK4

and read MOTU fine documentations https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU
    Your freedom is worth more than you think. Take advantage of it while you can.
    I take Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

download ALIEN it can convert tar.gz and other formats to DEB

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

What do I do if the source is in .tar.bz2 format? I get an unknown package error if I try that. Does it really have to be converted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by elitenoobboy View Post
    What do I do if the source is in .tar.bz2 format? I get an unknown package error if I try that. Does it really have to be converted?

Just unpack it in nautilus by right-clicking it and selecting extract, much easier than command line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by elitenoobboy View Post
    To make Debian package you should have build-essential and checkinstall packages installed in your system. If you dont have both then fire up synoptic package manager (system-->>administration-->>synoptic packa...) search for above packages, mark it and install(apply). i also assume that you do not have any dependency issue with the source package.

Say your source package name is "abcd"

1. move abcd to home folder (places -->> home folder)
    2. Extract abcd (right click on abcd and select option extract here)
    3. Open terminal (Application -->> Accessories -->> Termial)
    4. Type following commands

cd abcd
    ./configure
    make
    sudo checkinstall

checkinstall is the command creates debian package for you. at the end, terminal will show you where the .deb package is located.

Hope this will work for you...

Beans

Hi there. I guess the question is: why would you? there are tens of thousands of debian -and ubuntu, packages for pretty much anything you could imagine or require. Since you are a self-professed nooby, creating .deb packages should be the least of your concerns.

Some of the reasons for making your own .deb package are architecture-specific performance optimization and memory usage optimization... are you telling me you've already covered everything there is to know and are ready to tackle the above mentioned?

On the other hand, please consider the following... packages you create are not supported by the community, you'll have a hell of a time trying to update or upgrade those packages and removal of such packages is rarely clean.

I suggest you try to accumulate as much knowledge as possible and please, the number one advice i always give: Use Ubuntu/Linux and nothing but ubuntu/linux everywhere. And i mean everywhere... on your home PC, laptop, server if you have one and at work. Total immersion is still the best way to learn.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRatBastard View Post
    Hi there. I guess the question is: why would you? there are tens of thousands of debian -and ubuntu, packages for pretty much anything you could imagine or require. Since you are a self-professed nooby, creating .deb packages should be the least of your concerns.
    The reason I need to is that there are a large number of programs out there that I want/need and are not in a repository or in deb format, or that are not up to date and/or buggy.

Some of the reasons for making your own .deb package are architecture-specific performance optimization and memory usage optimization... are you telling me you've already covered everything there is to know and are ready to tackle the above mentioned?
    So building a deb yourself makes it run faster on that specific system?

On the other hand, please consider the following... packages you create are not supported by the community, you'll have a hell of a time trying to update or upgrade those packages and removal of such packages is rarely clean.
    Which is why I generally avoid it if possible. That and getting the build environment and config dependencies correct can be a bitch. As for it's removal not being clean, that is easily solved by just reinstalling the system then restoring just the users data. Upgrading to a new distro version instead of installing from scratch has proven to be quite buggy for me in the past. Systems tend to pick up cruft as time goes along anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by sundar_ima View Post
    To make Debian package you should have build-essential and checkinstall packages installed in your system. If you dont have both then fire up synoptic package manager (system-->>administration-->>synoptic packa...) search for above packages, mark it and install(apply). i also assume that you do not have any dependency issue with the source package.

Say your source package name is "abcd"

1. move abcd to home folder (places -->> home folder)
    2. Extract abcd (right click on abcd and select option extract here)
    3. Open terminal (Application -->> Accessories -->> Termial)
    4. Type following commands

cd abcd
    ./configure
    make
    sudo checkinstall

checkinstall is the command creates debian package for you. at the end, terminal will show you where the .deb package is located.

Hope this will work for you...
    Hi, thank you very much for the step-by-step explanation.

I am having this problem...

When I type: "./configure"
    I get this error: "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"

Am I missing something? What should I do now?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Type this & then run the above :
    sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall
    For Ubuntu basics :-> www.linoob.com

Ubuntu User #31222

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast