Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Use Xbox Controllers (original, 360, 360 wireless, 360 guitar) with Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Howto: Use Xbox Controllers (original, 360, 360 wireless, 360 guitar) with Linux

Does anyone know if this has been updated? I'm using 8.10 Intrepid. I haven't tried this yet myself since I'm at work and browsing around. Has anyone tried this in Intrepid? I will try myself when I get home from work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Howto: Use Xbox Controllers (original, 360, 360 wireless, 360 guitar) with Linux

Quote Originally Posted by AoDZelda View Post
    Does anyone know if this has been updated? I'm using 8.10 Intrepid. I haven't tried this yet myself since I'm at work and browsing around. Has anyone tried this in Intrepid? I will try myself when I get home from work.
    I will be updating this guide in a few weeks, as I have just got my new mobile dev machine and a bunch of time once finals are over

Check back soon gentlemen/ladies

Beans

I seem to be stuck with a different issue. uinput and joydev running, xpad is definitely not loaded, and I get as far as:

Code:
    Your Xbox/Xbox360 controller should now be available as:
      /dev/input/js0
      /dev/input/event6

Press Ctrl-c to quit
    ...At which point I get no response whatsoever pressing any of the buttons on the controller. I am able to quit with Ctrl+C twice, but otherwise, nothing.

I have a feeling I'm missing something really basic - is there something I need to do with the controller to get it to link, other than turning it on by pressing the guide button? (Not familiar as I don't actually own an Xbox 360; bought the controller exclusively for use with XBMC.) Any suggestions much appreciated...

Beans

THANK YOU for this howto! I am a linux newb but it was easy to get set up. I wanted to contribute a small part, I have a Hori Fighting stick Ex2 it works if you add

Code:
      { GAMEPAD_XBOX360,          0x0f0d, 0x000d, "Hori Fighting Stick Ex2" },
    into xboxdrv.cpp before you compile. This should also work for Hori's Soul Calibur and Doa4 controllers as well. They use the same PCB. The only think about this controller is the LT and RT do not work unless I map them to a different button

Code:
     --buttonmap lt=tl,rt=tr
    works for me.

What do you guys do with this driver though. I would like to have it load quietly every time I plug in my controller but right now I have to start it manually.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xxsamoxx View Post
    What do you guys do with this driver though.
    I start the driver always manually, since most games require a special set of options to work properly (--buttonmap, --dpad-only, etc.), so it wouldn't make sense to run it in the background.

There is a --daemon option and with some udev magic one might be able to get it started automatically, but I never bothered to try that and I have some doubt that it would work well without some further code changes/fixes. Maybe one could also hack something together with hal, but I never really looked into it.

Are people still having trouble with the vanilla source freezing on startup without the 2 -> 1 replacement in xbox360_controller.cpp? If so could anybody of those contact me so that we can work out a proper fix, I think the 2->1 just works because it makes all controller communication fail and thus LED and rumble no longer work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Sorry, I am new to this discussion. If I go out and buy a wired controller, what will I need to do to get it working as a mouse?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. GoS View Post
    Sorry, I am new to this discussion. If I go out and buy a wired controller, what will I need to do to get it working as a mouse?
    Latest development version of xboxdrv would do, from the README:

[[ Mouse Emulation ]]
    ---------------------

xboxdrv does not support real mouse emulation, however due to Xorg hotplug brokeness and ugly hackery, the following gives you mouse emulation, its not pretty, but sort of works:

% ./xboxdrv --ui-buttonmap A=BTN_LEFT,B=BTN_RIGHT -s --relative-axis X1=64000,Y1=64000 --deadzone 4192

This assumed that you have not applied any of the Xorg workarounds and are using a version of Xorg that will handle your gamepad as mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbel View Post
    Latest development version of xboxdrv would do, from the README:

[[ Mouse Emulation ]]
    ---------------------

xboxdrv does not support real mouse emulation, however due to Xorg hotplug brokeness and ugly hackery, the following gives you mouse emulation, its not pretty, but sort of works:

% ./xboxdrv --ui-buttonmap A=BTN_LEFT,B=BTN_RIGHT -s --relative-axis X1=64000,Y1=64000 --deadzone 4192

This assumed that you have not applied any of the Xorg workarounds and are using a version of Xorg that will handle your gamepad as mouse.
    Oh, that's great, thanks!

Beans

Hi

I'm running Hardy 64 and I've been having some problems getting this driver to work.

I've been able to compile version 0.3 but whenever I run it I get the following

Code:
    adrian@adrian-dell:~/src/xboxdrv/xboxdrv-linux-0.3$ ./xboxdrv --id 0
    USB Device:        002:006
    Controller:        "Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller" (idVendor: 0x045e, idProduct: 0x028e)
    Controller Type:   Xbox360
    Deadzone:          0
    Rumble Debug:      off
    Rumble Speed:      left: 0 right: 0
    LED Status:        auto
    ButtonMap:         none
    AxisMap:           none
    Exception: Error couldn't claim the USB interface
    Try to run 'rmmod xpad' and start xboxdrv again
    and if I do it as root it just hangs

Code:
    adrian@adrian-dell:~/src/xboxdrv/xboxdrv-linux-0.3$ sudo ./xboxdrv --id 0
    USB Device:        002:006
    Controller:        "Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller" (idVendor: 0x045e, idProduct: 0x028e)
    Controller Type:   Xbox360
    Deadzone:          0
    Rumble Debug:      off
    Rumble Speed:      left: 0 right: 0
    LED Status:        auto
    ButtonMap:         none
    AxisMap:           none
    from /var/log/messages

Code:
    Jan  8 01:32:54 adrian-dell kernel: [ 1617.262592] usb 2-9: usbfs: process 7989 (xboxdrv) did not claim interface 1 before use
    Jan  8 01:33:19 adrian-dell kernel: [ 1626.841850] usb 2-9: usbfs: process 7999 (xboxdrv) did not claim interface 1 before use
    In both cases no /dev/input/js0 is created

uinput ans joydev are loaded and xpad is blacklisted

Also I tried version 0.4 which but it won't compile

Code:
    adrian@adrian-dell:~/src/xboxdrv/xboxdrv-linux-0.4$ scons
    scons: Reading SConscript files ...
    scons: done reading SConscript files.
    scons: Building targets ...
    g++ -o src/evdev_helper.o -c -g -O2 src/evdev_helper.cpp
    src/evdev_helper.cpp: In constructor 'EvDevBtnEnum::EvDevBtnEnum()':
    src/evdev_helper.cpp:541: error: 'KEY_MEDIA_REPEAT' was not declared in this scope
    scons: *** [src/evdev_helper.o] Error 1
    scons: building terminated because of errors.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Beans

Code:
    src/evdev_helper.cpp:541: error: 'KEY_MEDIA_REPEAT' was not
    Nasty, looks like a key define is missing in your headers. Just remove that line in evdev_helper.cpp to make it work and any other line in that file that might cause similar trouble.

What kernel are you running? Anything self compiled or standard Ubuntu default kernel for 64bit?

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast