Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GFCEU (nes emu) update

Beans

GFCEU (nes emu) update

Hello all! It's been quite a while since I have really done anything really related to coding or programing or the OSS world. However, last weekend I was bed ridden for a couple days due to kidney stones so I really could do much except for lie around and uh... oh.... code.

As of the last gfceu release (about a year or so ago?), fceu development had pretty much come to a halt and there was little work I could do to improve the GUI without digging into the fceu code. And let me tell you, the FCEU code isn't the cleanest in the world (nor is any emulator for that matter).

However, fceu development has been picking up pace lately. Many developers have been putting hard work into fceu to improve it and stabilize it. While most of the developers work on the win32 port, two other devs and I have been working on getting the SDL port ready for release.

The lastest unreleased fceu (codenamed fceux) breaks compatibility with the old fceu, making gfceu 0.6.0 incompatible with fceux. However, I worked on the gfceu codebase quite a bit and its now ready for release whenever fceux puts out a release.

FCEU is by far the best emulator option for Ubuntu, and I just wanted to let everyone know that it is alive and well. If you would like to contribute, all the code (fceux and gfceux) is in the fceultra sourceforge subversion server.

Code:
      svn co https://fceultra.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fceultra fceultra
    I'm planning on making some serious improvements to (g)fceux in the future. I'd like to see an actual GUI for fceu, rather than just the launcher that gfceu currently is.

One major complaint I have received from numerous gfceu users is regarding the configuration system. Yes, I'm aware it's a PITA. No, there's nothing that can be done with the stable fceu. However, with the latest code in subversion it should be much easier to write a GUI to configure gamepads

Just wanted to let the Ubuntu community know that everyone's favorite NES emulator is only going to get better, and if anyone is willing to help out just drop me a PM.

Keep on rockin in the free (as in beer and in speech) world
    Last edited by punkrockguy318; June 11th, 2008 at 02:37 AM. Reason: PKs

Beans

Re: GFCEU (nes emu) update

If you want to stay updated on GFCEU check it out on the website: http://dietschnitzel.com/gfceu/

Beans

Thank you for this GTK port of this wonderful NES emulator, one more to join others, especially Snes9X-GTK for the SNES (http://snes9x.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3703) --my favorite.
    Furthermore, you can follow this topic if you want to stay tuned about fceu development (mainly related to re-recording): http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1020
    Congratulations and Thanks again
    Last edited by tukuyomi; June 17th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have been looking for a plain nes emulator for linux for a while.
    How complete is it?
    Unfortunately couldn't get this to compile on Gutsy even with scons and libsdl-dev installed.
    Code:
    SPRINTF -DOPENGL -O3 -g -DPSS_STYLE=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -DLSB_FIRST -D_DEBUG -I/usr/include/SDL src/input/zapper.cpp
    src/input/zapper.cpp: In function 'void LogZapper(int, MovieRecord*)':
    src/input/zapper.cpp:148: error: 'data' was not declared in this scope
    src/input/zapper.cpp:148: warning: unused variable 'ptr'
    scons: *** [src/input/zapper.o] Error 1
    scons: building terminated because of errors.
    Last edited by cor2y; June 19th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Beans

It's complete, it's been around and used for a very long time.

The zapper.cpp just just a new update in subversion so you might want to try svn up and recompiling; but regardless i'm not sure if it will compile on gutsy, what version of gcc do you have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

gcc 4.2.3 and scons is 0.97.0d20071203.r2509.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cor2y View Post
    gcc 4.2.3 and scons is 0.97.0d20071203.r2509.
    run an
    Code:
    svn up
    in the fceu directory to update the files. It should compile with those verisons in the latest subversion.

Beans

I've compiled a 64 bit version of fceux and bundled the latest gfceu with it.

I'd encourange anyone who wants to see fceux improve to test this on your Ubuntu machines and report your bugs to me so they can get fixed before release.

Known Issues:
    Netplay is broken.
    Some people are reporting sound issues. Please report any issues you may have with sound so I can do my best to fix them.

Check out http://dietschnitzel.com/gfceu/ for the latest *nix svn builds.

Beans

Wouldn't a 32 bit package be more widely used?

Cygoku

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Cygoku View Post
    Wouldn't a 32 bit package be more widely used?

Cygoku
    Shh, he'll stop making .debs I can use.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast