Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: kwallet is driving me nuts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: kwallet is driving me nuts

Hi,

When setting up the account and giving your user name and login details there is a box that says "Store POP password" for receiving and "Store SMTP password" for sending, leave them blank, when kontact or kmail start up you will be asked for your password just like login, hope this helps.

Regards, Ellgor.

Beans

Wow! Almost 2 months with nothing, then 2 answers in the same day. And it's not even my birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Anlace View Post
    Just a thought here, take a look and see if KDE is set to open to a saved session. If it is maybe the saved session used kwallet. It's a shot in the dark but . . . .
    That's exactly what happened. First thing I did after installing was boot up my most used apps, then Save Session. Of course, Kwallet didn't kick in until after I'd done that. I had no idea it was running. Sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by ellgor View Post
    Hi,

When setting up the account and giving your user name and login details there is a box that says "Store POP password" for receiving and "Store SMTP password" for sending, leave them blank, when kontact or kmail start up you will be asked for your password just like login, hope this helps.

Regards, Ellgor.
    Unfortunately, they are already unchecked. I semi-solved my problem when I realized Kwallet was asking for the ISP's password, not my root password. So now it only pops up once or twice a day. I'd still rather it just went away, though.

Hmm... maybe I'll try storing that POP password.

Beans

In Kubuntu Karmic Koala I purged kwallet & the next time I logged in, I got a console logon as if I were in runlevel 2, yet autologon engaged after 5-10 seconds at the console, as if kdm were running after all.

Kwallet still running as if it were never uninstalled when KMail sends or receives.

So I uncheck "Save Password" on both IMAP & SMTP accounts, close & reopen kmail, all the way- from the tray.
    Then I check mail, enter the password so it can check the mail & check the remember password box.
    I send an email & do the same for that, then close kmail- all the way, from the tray.

The next time I start kmail, I hit cancel when kwallet comes up.
    At this point KMail asks to store the password itself & I say OK.

I send an email & do the same on that authentication.

Now kwallet seems dead.
    Hallelujah!

I'd rather be able to really purge it so I didn't have to worry about it coming back- it's like VD!

F&*%@$^ kwallet- annoying *******.

Beans

Hi ElllisD:

I'm still using 8.04, and I haven't seen kwallet pop up in I don't know how long--but darned if I can recall how I finally got rid of it. I suspect I did as you did. Anyway, I've copy/pasted your solution into my "howto" directory so it'll be the first thing I try when I upgrade.

F&*%@$^ kwallet- annoying *******.
    Agreed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12