Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: netboot installation fails

Beans

netboot installation fails

Hello,

I have currently set up a preseeded netboot installation for Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy and it has worked fairly well for a week or two.

Now mysteriously enough the installer fails with the error message "Failed to load installer component - Loading libntfs-3g23-udeb failed for unknown reasons. Aborting." in the download installer components phase.

I have tried this several other mirrors, with and without preseed and it always fails the same way. I even enabled BOOT_DEBUG=2 but the installation log does not give out any additional information on this matter.

Beans

Re: netboot installation fails

I'm experiencing the same problem - netbooting Hardy has worked for a month until within this week (just noticed it today). Attaching syslog and hardware summary.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Just confirming that this is a problem I'm experiencing for the first time today as well, during a preseeded netboot install of 8.04 from a local mirror (itself a mirror of www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/ubuntu).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just wondering whether the recent kernel upgrades have anything to do with the problems you folks are experiencing. My question, such as it is, was suggested by one of the questions and answers of the Q and A part of the following:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/Netboot

Beans

Thanks, avtolle! Unfortunately, it's looking to me as though the pxelinux components of netboot were updated today, but the netboot kernel and ramdisk have remained the same since the Hardy launch, so I'm not sure how to go about getting netboot in agreement with my local mirror:
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...nstaller/i386/

The Hardy netboot tarball at the page you listed earlier is all from April too.

How difficult would it be to build my own updated netboot kernel (and ramdisk) - am I correct in assuming that's just a vanilla kernel with a wide array of network/disk support? Would it be better to just wait for an update to come down the stream?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You have exceeded my knowledge with your penultimate question, there jlgreer, thus I'd wait for an update to come down stream. Just my 2 cents.

Beans

Hey everyone, I'm having the exact same issue with my amd64 based installations. We do use a custom kernel and have been perfectly fine until today. I'm guessing this is something odd with that specific package and have filed a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/238974

Has anyone managed to do a succesful network install today?

- E

Beans

So if you have console access you can get past this error by selecting <Continue>, <Continue>, Download Installer Components, <Continue>. Not a solution but if you need boxes rolled out like I do it seems to make it :\

- E

Beans

Thank you, eci_souji! That appears to be working for me too.

Beans

Bitten by the same problem

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast