Thread: synaptic downloads

Beans

synaptic downloads

When downloadign a programme via synaptic sometimes after dowmnloading the application is there under the menus ready for you to run. Sometimes as in this case downloaded programmes via Syanptic just disappear. I have done a search and have found part answers but what I don't understand is , after downloading a programme via synaptic why does not then appear in the menu list ? When you search for it which particular file are you looking for to run it? Quite why some downloads work perfectly and others do not is a real mystery but thats for another time . For now I would be grateful for assistance on this matter to just find where the files have gone that I have downloaded

Beans

Re: synaptic downloads

Some applications are programmed to make a menu entry during installation. Others not. It depends on the makers of the applications.

You can always start them in the terminal. Look in /usr/bin for the name of the launcher. You can always make you own menu entry, if you wish.

Beans

thanks for the quick answer have found them in usr bin as you said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Press ALT + F2 and type in the application name you installed (preferably the package name)

HP Pavilion DV3505ea Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - nVidia GeForce 9300M GS - Intel 5100AGN Wireless