Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fellow MT Ubuntu Users: Hello!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Fellow MT Ubuntu Users: Hello!

It runs awesome, I've had very little trouble. I talked to System76 support several times and they have been very helpful. I like it far more than my other computers. I'm an IT major and put the computer to the limit on alot of thing. Its very stable and I could not have gotten anything better. Are u thinking of getting one?
    Asus G74SX ROG Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM Processor 12GB Memory NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM 1tb Western Digital Hard Drive, 500gb Western Digital Hard Drive, 1.5 tb Western Digital Hard Drive, 2 2TB Western Digital Hard Drives.

Beans

Thank you very much. I think that I am going to build my next box but they are in my mind as a possible alternative to that.

I have the core2 quad Q6600 2.40 GHz on this box and really love the ability to run on 32 or 64bit and the sucker is fast even in 32bit mode.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

what u thinking for a new box?
    Asus G74SX ROG Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM Processor 12GB Memory NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM 1tb Western Digital Hard Drive, 500gb Western Digital Hard Drive, 1.5 tb Western Digital Hard Drive, 2 2TB Western Digital Hard Drives.

Beans

Well, that is a good question. I am doing research.

Mythbuntu just fasinates me. I don't even watch TV (well maybe an hour a week). My wife does watch and I do enjoy some movies. I could play with the box and feed the house, she could watch.

I would also like to have more internal slots for HDDs (4 would be nice) and a lot of pci slots.

Myth does not take a lot of power or ram, I guess but I like it and I like to run boinc, which sucks your cpu dry.

So, I guess I just want to build a BIG box that is good for playing with.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro

what specs were u thinking?

Beans

I know that I want a large power source. I think something in the 750W range. I really like this cpu set but they make a bigger one either would do for me. I think I want 4Gb ram instead of the 3 I have now.

I think I will go with a nvidia card or at least an ATI that is supported. This HP 2400 Pro is nice on the generic driver but it would be nice to have one that is supported.

I would like 2 DVDroms internal that do not have the MS approved firmware. I don't even use the one on this Dell box because it will not play several of my totally legal CDs. It wouldn't under Vista (we bought it with that virus preinstalled - it is why we are on Ubuntu now - Thank You MS). Have no trouble with my external Memorex CDrom or Memorex DVDrom with lightscribe.

I have 9 USB ports. 12 would be nice.

I am not sure what kind of cards I need for Myth but I think I need to go with Haughpag, or what ever it is called, cards. MS remotes are supposed to work the best with lirc so I guess I will go for second best (yup, I hold a grudge. MS charges money to sell you a BAD OS -I am not going to play).

I am a currently unemployed ranch hand so this is all in the planning stage. I think that the main thing I need to start with is income. Oh well maybe i can catch some gathering day work and calving daywork and work that into something full time. My last boss was great but up and died on me.

Oh well, if I get a chance to show that I am a hand (at least from the wrist down) and have a good horse and a fair dog, I think that I have a pretty good chance. I did work for one of the pickiest, best breeders in the area for 9 years. Should say something.

Beans
    Distro

From personal experience I would say to make sure you use an efficent power source. 750 watts would be good, depending on what its used for. Make sure you go with a name brand powersource. Its way better for peace of mind, and the knowledge that I will work. Buy for the future should be a big thing. I would probably go with a nvidia card, I've had good luck with them in the past. I like how they are easy customizable in Ubuntu, I dont know too much about how well ATI works. What kind of case are you looking at? Myth will need a tv card, I dont remember what kind but do some looking on that. Dont forget that on your current system you can usually still upgrade from 3gb to 4gb ram right now. If you want to wait to build the other that would be a good idea for the time being....just a thought. Before you decide to start on the build, post the specs and I will help you as much as I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12