Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to open files from terminal

Beans

How to open files from terminal

Hey, I am kinda new to linux and I am just starting to use the terminal for more things and I was wondering if there is a way to open files, such as pictures, videos, and music, from the terminal. I was wondering because in the cmd prompt in windows (which I also just started using) you can open a file by just typing in the name of that file. Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How to open files from terminal

In the Gnome desktop you can use the command gnome-open for this, e.g.

Code:
    gnome-open mypicture.jpg
    The generic equivalent, which should work for all Linux desktops that work with freedesktop.org standards, is xdg-open.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mman426 View Post
    Hey, I am kinda new to linux and I am just starting to use the terminal for more things and I was wondering if there is a way to open files, such as pictures, videos, and music, from the terminal. I was wondering because in the cmd prompt in windows (which I also just started using) you can open a file by just typing in the name of that file. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Yes, almost everything. The GUI part is just that, a graphics layered interface.
    In fact sometimes it pays to start a program using the Terminal.

Case in point. It's fixed now, but Wine kept failing. I started it through the Terminal.
    For example:
    wine C:\\"Program Files"\\ImgBurn\\ImgBurn.exe

Will start ImgBurn using Wine and I can see any errors that may occur. Even though ImgBurn has its own log file that displays errors. Using the Terminal reveals more information that may be of value for trouble shooting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wdaniels View Post
    In the Gnome desktop you can use the command gnome-open for this, e.g.

Code:
    gnome-open mypicture.jpg
    The generic equivalent, which should work for all Linux desktops that work with freedesktop.org standards, is xdg-open.
    Thanks that works perfectly, I really like to open from the terminal because I don't want to use the mouse and I want to increase my typing speed because right now it is pretty slow when I work in the terminal. I also figure that working in the terminal is the best way to learn the terminal, so I use it for pretty much everything now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by mman426 View Post
    I really like to open from the terminal because I don't want to use the mouse and I want to increase my typing speed because right now it is pretty slow when I work in the terminal. I also figure that working in the terminal is the best way to learn the terminal, so I use it for pretty much everything now
    That attitude will serve you well in Linux
    Last edited by wdaniels; June 9th, 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: sp

Beans

Hello, I am a total newbie to ubuntu.
    when i enter the command "gnome-open LOTR Evenstar.wma" nothing happens. could you please help.
    thanks.
    Last edited by tayl90mm; February 26th, 2009 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by tayl90mm View Post
    Hello, I am a total newbie to ubuntu.
    when i enter the command "gnome-open LOTR Evenstar.wma" nothing happens. could you please help.
    thanks.
    spaces (among other carachters) in filenames arent directly supported in the command line. you need to "escape" the carachter (basically tell the interpreter its part of the file name rather than serving some other function). the escape carachter is \ so it should look like

LOTR\ Evenstar.wma

i think double quotes work too. also, you can have the terminal auto complete your entry so you could type LOTR then press tab, and it will fill in the rest for you, including escaped carachters. i use this alot for torrents since the name of most are so rediculously long :-/

if thats not the problem, then the wma file format might be
    toaster: PIII 1.0GHz Ubuntu Intrepid 2.6.27-7-server (headless)
    merom: Apple MacBook Pro -2.33GHz C2Duo - OSX 10.5.6
    mythb0x: P-D 2.66Ghz MythDora 3.2: 2.6.18 - PVR-150 - VIA Unichrome Pro - MSI Hetis 800 case

Beans

another terminal trick is that you can enter in
    Code:
    gnome-open LO
    and then hit the tab key. if there is only one file in the directory that you are in that begins with the letters LO, it will complete the filename for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

and if there are files that are similar, it will fill in up to the point where the similarities end
    toaster: PIII 1.0GHz Ubuntu Intrepid 2.6.27-7-server (headless)
    merom: Apple MacBook Pro -2.33GHz C2Duo - OSX 10.5.6
    mythb0x: P-D 2.66Ghz MythDora 3.2: 2.6.18 - PVR-150 - VIA Unichrome Pro - MSI Hetis 800 case

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well there are many applications for specific tasks to open files from terminal
    feh- for viewing pictures
    moc- for audio
    mplayer- for video
    Abhilash Muthuraj-views
    I always believe that Linux,
    "In a world of no walls or fences, we don't need WINDOWS or GATES"
    New to Ubuntu??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast