Thread: Popcorn Hour A-100

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Popcorn Hour A-100

Can anybody share how to setup a Popcorn Hour A-100 Media Center so that it finds your Ubuntu Hardy Heron?

I'm thinking about buying a Popcorn Hour A-100 Media Center and I'm a newbie with little or close to no experience in networking (Samba or NFS).
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans

Re: Popcorn Hour A-100

Quote Originally Posted by peakshysteria View Post
    Can anybody share how to setup a Popcorn Hour A-100 Media Center so that it finds your Ubuntu Hardy Heron?

I'm thinking about buying a Popcorn Hour A-100 Media Center and I'm a newbie with little or close to no experience in networking (Samba or NFS).
    Im at work now without my Ubuntu. Trying to remember everything...

1. Turn on your PCH
    2. Switch the Samba server on
    3. Ubuntu -> Network -> Windows shares(?) and you should see your PCH

Actually this is easier than with XP. And I am VERY noob with Linux.

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions and I will check this as soon as I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I haven't set up samba yet. I just installed it via synaptic. But I'm kinda on thin ice here. Not sure how to configure samba yet. Any tips & tricks?
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans

Pfffffff... My mistake. I thought that you would like to see PCH with you Ubuntu. Not Ubuntu from your PCH. Sorry.

In your case I think the NFS is your solution. Don´t actually know how to set up it but NFS is for Linux and Samba is for Windows. NFS is also faster.

Do you have internal HDD in your PCH? I do have it and the way I use PCH with Ubuntu is that I just "push" everything from Ubuntu to PCH. I don´t play anything "over the network".

I know this might be a bit silly way to do it but at least it works ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It sounds great. But no, when I buy a PCH it's not going to have a HDD. At least not an internal. I prefer supersilent I might get an external drive. As I'm sure you know it comes default without any HDD. I was thinking of running it like that in the beginning. Meaning I'm gonna have to stream media from Ubuntu to the PCH right? Then NFS is all I need? Or am I wrong?
    Last edited by peakshysteria; June 12th, 2008 at 07:53 AM.

Beans

Yep. NFS or MyIhome are the tools for you. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/download/myihome.html

Happy corn hours!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks man. Came across a PCH today. Got a good price for it as well So I bought it. Haven't tested NFS yet. It found my desktop at once But I'm not to well known with how it all works with passwords and creating shared folder etc. Kinda greek to me this....I guess I'll have to read up on it.

And it seems that the eject device button works when it want to and not every time. Which is kinda frustrating. But besides that it all seems very nice actually. I'll give it some work tonight to test it properly. Then I'll read up on NFS and see how I manage.

____

Edit:

I can find the shared folder in Popcorn. But I can't access it. It says:
    Code:
    wrong username or password. Click return to return to the previous screen.
    Any tips and tricks? I have installed NFS and Samba via synaptic. And other local machines can find the main machine easy. I still haven't installed a HDD to Popcorn. It looks like this is the problem. Can anyone verify that NFS or Samba doesn't work on Popcorn without an HDD? Or is there a way to make NFS work without an HDD?
    Last edited by peakshysteria; June 22nd, 2008 at 06:58 PM.