Thread: Activating NVIDIA X driver

Beans

Activating NVIDIA X driver

Hi,

Seems I'm having the same issues a lot of people are having with Ubuntu 8.04. I'm running an NVidia GeForce 7300 Go on my laptop and getting told I can only run in low resolution mode. I saw in one of the forum threads that I could install EnvyNG, so I did that and had it reinstall my NVidia driver (I uninstalled the old one first). I still can't get out of low resolution mode, however, I have found that when I go to System - Administration - NVIDIA X Server Settings I get this message:

"You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

Could editing my X configuration file be the solution to my low resolution problem. If, how do I do this. I am relatively new to using Linux and don't understand how/am afraid to play with anything in my root, so if this is a possible solution could someone please tell me how to do this.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Activating NVIDIA X driver

Try going to system - administration - hardware drivers, and enabling the video driver. Does that help you?

Beans

No. I already did that and it said it is enabled, but I'm still stuck in low-resolution mode and when I open the NVIDIA X Server Settings I still get the same message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try disabling/enabling it? That's strange.