Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Ant Problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ant Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by melrom View Post
    I actually think if I picked them up anywhere, it would be work. I bring it to work all the time, and I'm always encountering weird bugs there.
    Maybe you should alert security at work. These might be trojan ants!
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

well since writing viruses for linux isnt an easy thing i guess its easier to take control of they real bugs and have them do it manually, this is the oddest attempt to bypass hardware encryption ive head of to date

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Maybe you should alert security at work. These might be trojan ants!
    haha, the comical part about this is that i work for the government.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by melrom View Post
    haha, the comical part about this is that i work for the government.
    just clean and disinfect your computer and dont place it near any walls or on the floor.. they must be attracted from outside i'm assuming. you can spray your computer with bug spray and then let it sit a little... dont spray too much of course as it's electronics. (and of course dont have it on when doing this)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When setting the laptop down on a table at work, make a chalk square around it. The ants will not cross over it.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

OMG! Your computer is a replicator. We are pretty much doomed. Somone better call the Asgards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    When setting the laptop down on a table at work, make a chalk square around it. The ants will not cross over it.
    I prefer a can of aerosol hair spray and a lighter, but that works, too.

Realistically, the best thing to do is clean out your keyboard (you may need to take the plastic top piece off of your laptop to access the keyboard, then unscrew it). Simply using a can of air to blow garbage (like piece of food which can attract ants) can result in these pieces ending up under the keyboard on more sensitive parts of your computer. Once the keyboard is disconnected from the computer, you can blow it clean yourself or use a can of air. While the KB is disconnected, you may want to blow clean the rest of the laptop, too, like the fans and any other openings you can access.
    Of course, the computer needs to be turned off, power unplugged, battery disconnected during all of this to prevent damage from power drain or static discharge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    I prefer a can of aerosol hair spray and a lighter, but that works, too.

Realistically, the best thing to do is clean out your keyboard (you may need to take the plastic top piece off of your laptop to access the keyboard, then unscrew it). Simply using a can of air to blow garbage (like piece of food which can attract ants) can result in these pieces ending up under the keyboard on more sensitive parts of your computer. Once the keyboard is disconnected from the computer, you can blow it clean yourself or use a can of air. While the KB is disconnected, you may want to blow clean the rest of the laptop, too, like the fans and any other openings you can access.
    Of course, the computer needs to be turned off, power unplugged, battery disconnected during all of this to prevent damage from power drain or static discharge.
    Can's of air cost money and are not environmentally friendly. Use an Air Compressor. Saves money, is re-usable and is environmentally friendly!

Notice, this is not a political message. Just a rant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thanks for the tips. yeah, i'll probably take off my keyboard tonight. it's confirmed that there are multiple ants though, because i've killed about three so far [i couldn't tell at first if i was just too slow to get the same one]. haha.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

DON't PaNIC

i had the same issue, not a big deal.

i just placed an usb powered cooler on the bottom of my laptop. they don't like the wind too much.

sometimes the ants are just scouting the area for the queen live in or they follow the scent of food.

it happened twice, i just moved the lap to another table for a while and clean the one i were.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast