Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How viable is Rhythmbox as an iTunes alternative?

Beans

How viable is Rhythmbox as an iTunes alternative?

I have an iPod 5G, but I still use iTunes on my Windows machine to manage it (which is pretty inconvenient considering I rarely have access to the Windows machine).

How viable is Rhythmbox (or any other library manager for that matter) as an iTunes alternative? I know that most Ubuntu library managers can sync with the iPod fairly well, but there are a few other features I would like before making the switch, particularly:
    • Support for gapless playback (on the iPod at very least) for gapless albums (Pink Floyd, etc)
    • A "Do not play this song in shuffle mode" option for tracks (comedy albums and the like)

Does Rhythmbox or any other Ubuntu library manager implement or plan to implement these features?

Beans

Re: How viable is Rhythmbox as an iTunes alternative?

try songbird. It's not in synaptic, but you can download it from their website.

Or exale or amarok.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nlz View Post
    try songbird. It's not in synaptic, but you can download it from their website.

Or exale or amarok.
    I have tried Songbird and have heard of Amarok. But do any of these players support gapless playback on the iPod?

Beans

songbird can. i'm using it now, and it's really sweet. the next (dev) version even let's you synchronize everything on your ipod, including deleting, rhytmbox has a problem with that. And it's really good looking.

It also uses MySQL for the library, i really like that part.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nlz View Post
    songbird can. i'm using it now, and it's really sweet. the next (dev) version even let's you synchronize everything on your ipod, including deleting, rhytmbox has a problem with that. And it's really good looking.

It also uses MySQL for the library, i really like that part.
    Thanks alot! In Songbird, how do I mark an album as gapless, so that it plays on the iPod without pauses. I can't seem to be able to find the option.

Beans

I had all sorts of problems with Rhythmbox.

1) It crashes randomly
    2) When you rip CDs to mp3 format it uses m4a instead, and my iPod couldn't read the files.
    3) I couldn't get the swing of adding and removing files from my iPod. It rarely seemed to work as expected.

Anyway, now I'm using Amarok. It has gapless playback and easy management of your iPod. The only issue I have found so far is that if you add a playlist to your iPod that already exists instead of syncing it, you'll end up with the songs twice in the list. I also haven't figured out the correct command to eject the iPod on disconnect but the overall experience is far superior to Rhythmbox in every other regard. I haven't tried Songbird yet but maybe I'll give it a trial run to see if it is any easier to use than Amarok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    How viable is Rhythmbox (or any other library manager for that matter) as an iTunes alternative? I know that most Ubuntu library managers can sync with the iPod fairly well, but there are a few other features I would like before making the switch, particularly:
    • Support for gapless playback (on the iPod at very least) for gapless albums (Pink Floyd, etc)

This is a (non-default) option you can turn on in Rhythmbox's preferences. I don't know if it plays gapless from an iPod, but I'd guess that'd work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post

• A "Do not play this song in shuffle mode" option for tracks (comedy albums and the like)

Not exactly, but you don't have to shuffle your entire library. Smart Playlists are quite flexible, and you can filter your music based on path, rating, artist, genre, etc.

Hope this helps!
    I love this smiley!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Moved to "Multimedia & Video".
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |

Beans

You might want to take a look at banshee. Looks impressive, though I've not tried it yet: http://banshee-project.org/download/archives/1.0.0/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by _alex_ View Post
    You might want to take a look at banshee. Looks impressive, though I've not tried it yet: http://banshee-project.org/download/archives/1.0.0/
    I've tried a bunch of the music libraries for Linux (Songbird, Amarok, Banshee, Rhythmbox). Banshee used to be my favorite, but I don't like the direction it is going in and haven't tried 1.0 yet.

But the issue that is most important to me and many others is iPod synchronization. Some members here have claimed that certain library managers support gapless playback on the iPod, but other information I have come across states that no Linux library manager currently supports this feature.

Does anyone know for certain of a library manager that does support gapless playback on the iPod? If so, could you provide me and the rest of the internets with a very basic set of instructions describing how we could get it working?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast