Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Set the internet Free with Icecat

Beans

Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

I used Iceweasel for a while and then switched over to Swiftweasel, which is built on Iceweasel but optimized for your processor. It's very stable, fast (although I'm not sure how much faster it is than plain Iceweasel or Firefox b5) and doesn't restrict you in being able to use Flash, in fact when I installed it onto Hardy it ran the Ubuntu automatic installer as soon as I visited Youtube (same as it would in Firefox). When I installed it first time (migrating from Firefox) it automatically found all my Firefox plugins too (as it reads your Mozilla directories) so Flash worked as soon as it was installed! It also looks identical to Firefox and is completely free software. And it also has a Ubuntu repository so it will keep you automatically updated when new versions come out and it makes installation easier (a big advantage for me over Iceweasel where you had to drop the file in your home directory and make a launcher for it).

So definitely if you're tempted to try Icecat give a look at Swiftweasel, it seems to have all the benefits mentioned as well as a few more perks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

so you mean, that not even gnash or swfdec work with this...?
    well I have read that you can but I haven't figured out how.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Firefox is free software
    here is section 3 of FF license

3. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. Portions of the Product are available in source code form under the terms of the Mozilla Public License and other open source licenses (collectively, "Open Source Licenses") at http://www.mozilla.org. Nothing in this Agreement will be construed to limit any rights granted under the Open Source Licenses. Subject to the foregoing, Mozilla, for itself and on behalf of its licensors, hereby reserves all intellectual property rights in the Product, except for the rights expressly granted in this Agreement. You may not remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notice in or on the Product. This license does not grant you any right to use the trademarks, service marks or logos of Mozilla or its licensor
    now to me "portions of the product" means that the source code for the complete product is not available.

then there is this
    DURING THE MOZILLA FIREFOX INSTALLATION PROCESS, AND AT LATER TIMES, YOU MAY BE GIVEN THE OPTION OF INSTALLING ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS FROM THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE PROVIDERS. THE INSTALLATION AND USE OF THOSE THIRD-PARTY COMPONENTS MAY BE GOVERNED BY ADDITIONAL LICENSE AGREEMENTS.
    so there may be stuff in the installation of FF that is proprietary. though I am not saying I am 100% sure. again that is the point of using icecat I don't have to worry about wether or not it might be Free Software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Free? From what?

Beans

Can someone help me install the latest IceCat in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS x86_64?
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by drascus View Post
    here is section 3 of FF license

now to me "portions of the product" means that the source code for the complete product is not available.

then there is this

so there may be stuff in the installation of FF that is proprietary. though I am not saying I am 100% sure. again that is the point of using icecat I don't have to worry about wether or not it might be Free Software.
    Firefox licence is perfectly fine.

As for the second bit I believe that may be plugins.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Beans

Can people vote for my idea in my signature please? I believe this is where the right people are located .
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bufsabre666 View Post
    +1 iceweasel is great, its even optimized for 64 bit computers
    That's Swiftweasel. Iceweasel is identical to Firefox, sans the so-called "restrictive" license.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i dont see why people complain about a 'restrictive' licence that only applies to the logo and the name, and then use COMPLETELY closed source software such as flash, and then most likely are using restrictive drivers for wifi or 3d acceleration.

the program is open source. the only thing that isnt is the logo, the name and the bug reporter which isnt even present in the linux version. the only other benefit iceweasel/cat has over firefox is some random privacy thing using 0 size files for ad tracking? Ill just keep firefox and use adblock/noscript thanks

But whatever floats your boat
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba64 View Post
    Ditto and nightly tester tools will force any add on to work in FF3
    Not if they are truly incompatible (as in the API to FF), in which case it will run, but function incorrectly.

FlyingIsFun1217

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast