Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Set the internet Free with Icecat

Re: Set the internet Free with Icecat

Quote Originally Posted by s3a View Post
    Can someone help me install the latest IceCat in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS x86_64?

After some searching I followed the guide at http://www.linuxconfig.org/GNU_IceCat

Beans

I'm sticking with ff2, because of ff3's bugs... that would be a lot easier for the OP... thats just my opinion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    i dont see why people complain about a 'restrictive' licence that only applies to the logo and the name, and then use COMPLETELY closed source software such as flash, and then most likely are using restrictive drivers for wifi or 3d acceleration.

the program is open source. the only thing that isnt is the logo, the name and the bug reporter which isnt even present in the linux version. the only other benefit iceweasel/cat has over firefox is some random privacy thing using 0 size files for ad tracking? Ill just keep firefox and use adblock/noscript thanks

But whatever floats your boat

AMEN! Seriously, lets stop the flame wars. When it comes to Linux your free to be a hardcore FOSS only person or to not care. Either way your using Linux, so it doesn't matter. Just stop all these pointless arguments. Just because person X believes that you should use only FOSS, doenst mean person Y is wrong because they use something that isnt...and polygon is especially right about how people are arguing about FF having a clause that protects their logo and name, yet they use all these other apps which are completely proprietary.

Stop complaining, and just use what makes you happy. Leave your personal bias to yourself, and try to be a helpful citizen in the forums. Oh, and let me point out that when your expressing your opinion, please leave it at that. When you make a statement that is argumentative about your opinion it reveals that what you really mean is "I'm right, and your wrong". This is no longer an opinion then, because your trying to force your opinion on other individuals. You can't prove your or anyone elses opinion wrong. You can only dispute a fact. So please try to stick with neutral comments like Chris4585's. Note how it's just an expression of his personal reasons why he does X or doesnt.

*exhale* Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to get back to making fun of my Windows using friends. J/K.
    Last edited by Black Razor; October 19th, 2008 at 04:36 AM.
    Do you live in the Chicago area? Join the Chicago Ubuntu LoCo. *Check it out here.*

Beans

I am still very very new to linux and couldn't be happier. I like the idea of open source and free software and the logo stuff with FF doesn't really bother me too much. I agree with the point made earlier that it doesn't really make a difference when we still rely on Adobe. However it is my opinion that Windows users come off a little silly when they run a full-on proprietary OS then pull up an open source browser.

I may seem like a snob, but I would really just like to differentiate myself from Windows users. I'm not intentially breaking away from the norm but I do like the novelty of using something different.

The biggest concern is functionality and FF works just fine for me as well as Iceweasel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i rely on flash heavily, so any browser that can't run it is a no-go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123