Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tabbed Windows: Way better than desktop cube! Try it out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Red face Tabbed Windows: Way better than desktop cube! Try it out!

After playing with tabbed windows for a while, I now think they're more effective than the desktop cube, or even multiple desktops in general.

Here's a screenshot:

Basically, it's an unused plugin for Compiz that is probably better to use and more fun than desktop cubes. Rather than have a cube to spread many windows out over, you can group similar windows together (for example, a browser window, calculator and 2 openoffice windows for work). Then, you can merge all these windows together into one, and use tabs to switch between them. Here's a small guide to getting it set up.

Step One: Find and enable tabbed windows
    The plugin's located in the compiz advanced settings manager, right at the bottom right.

Step Two: Change some settings
    The default settings are pretty useless and are very clumsy, which is probably why hardly anyone uses this plugin.

- In the glow tab, change the glow size to something more sensible, like 10 pixels. On small screens, the glow is way too big by default.

- In the "selection" tab, there's lots to change.
    > In "animation options", you only need to change the "change tab animation duration" to something like 0.2800.
    > In "misc options", you need to enable "autotab windows on creation". This option means that you don't need to use shortcuts to use tabbed windows, making life much easier. You should also shorten the "tab bar show delay" to something like 0.3000.
    > In "slot dragging", you might want to enable the "spring model", which adds physics to your tabs and makes things more fun.
    > In "window title font", a font size of 9 or 10 is recommended, and font color is best black.

Step Three: How do I use this then?

- Once you've done all the above, you can now try some tabbing out. If you now open 2 new windows (for example, a home folder and terminal), you'll find that you get a small thumbnail of the window when you hover over the titlebar of one of these.

- You can now drag the thumbnail from one window onto the titlebar of the other, and they'll merge into one window. Make sure you drag the thumbnail into the little bubble that pops up, otherwise nothing will happen.

- To change windows, you can now hover over the titlebar and choose the window you want. You also get a cool animation where the window flips over. Pretty cool, huh?

Step 4: Tips

- There seems to be a strange bug where dragging thumbnails into other windows outside of their bubbles occasionally seems to close the window. It hasn't actually closed, but has disappeared to an invisible bubble somewhere. Always make sure the thumbail you're dragging is in the bubble before letting go. You can get the window back by pressing Alt + F2 and typing "compiz --replace".

- There's loads of hidden animations that you can find by doing different things to windows that are grouped together. For example, trying to close a grouped window will send a "ghost window" flying out, leaving the window "underneath".
    Last edited by Mazza558; June 7th, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
    Laptop: Inspiron 1501 - AMD64 (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, ATI 1150. Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty testing.
    Beginner's Guide to the Terminal! | FutureLooks 3 on GNOME-Look | Follow me on Twitter!

Beans

Re: Tabbed Windows: Way better than desktop cube! Try it out!

Group + Tab doesn't work well with Sessions, so fair warning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    After playing with tabbed windows for a while, I now think they're more effective than the desktop cube, or even multiple desktops in general.

Here's a screenshot:

Basically, it's an unused plugin for Compiz that is probably better to use and more fun than desktop cubes. Rather than have a cube to spread many windows out over, you can group similar windows together (for example, a browser window, calculator and 2 openoffice windows for work). Then, you can merge all these windows together into one, and use tabs to switch between them. Here's a small guide to getting it set up.

Step One: Find and enable tabbed windows
    The plugin's located in the compiz advanced settings manager, right at the bottom right.

Step Two: Change some settings
    The default settings are pretty useless and are very clumsy, which is probably why hardly anyone uses this plugin.

- In the glow tab, change the glow size to something more sensible, like 10 pixels. On small screens, the glow is way too big by default.

- In the "selection" tab, there's lots to change.
    > In "animation options", you only need to change the "change tab animation duration" to something like 0.2800.
    > In "misc options", you need to enable "autotab windows on creation". This option means that you don't need to use shortcuts to use tabbed windows, making life much easier. You should also shorten the "tab bar show delay" to something like 0.3000.
    > In "slot dragging", you might want to enable the "spring model", which adds physics to your tabs and makes things more fun.
    > In "window title font", a font size of 9 or 10 is recommended, and font color is best black.

Step Three: How do I use this then?

- Once you've done all the above, you can now try some tabbing out. If you now open 2 new windows (for example, a home folder and terminal), you'll find that you get a small thumbnail of the window when you hover over the titlebar of one of these.

- You can now drag the thumbnail from one window onto the titlebar of the other, and they'll merge into one window. Make sure you drag the thumbnail into the little bubble that pops up, otherwise nothing will happen.

- To change windows, you can now hover over the titlebar and choose the window you want. You also get a cool animation where the window flips over. Pretty cool, huh?

Step 4: Tips

- There seems to be a strange bug where dragging thumbnails into other windows outside of their bubbles occasionally seems to close the window. It hasn't actually closed, but has disappeared to an invisible bubble somewhere. Always make sure the thumbail you're dragging is in the bubble before letting go. You can get the window back by pressing Alt + F2 and typing "compiz --replace".

- There's loads of hidden animations that you can find by doing different things to windows that are grouped together. For example, trying to close a grouped window will send a "ghost window" flying out, leaving the window "underneath".
    whwere's the screenshot???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d.kusummmanth@gmail.com View Post
    where's the screenshot???
    I second that!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

I hope you all know Fluxbox has had tabbed windows . But otherwise, yes, that is cool. I never really figured out how to use it, though

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by nathangrubb View Post
    I hope you all know Fluxbox has had tabbed windows . But otherwise, yes, that is cool. I never really figured out how to use it, though
    I was just going to point that out. I sort of wish Openbox had that too, but I don't really need it.

Beans

I tried it but I didn't find it visually pleasing.

So I disabled it again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    I tried it but I didn't find it visually pleasing.

So I disabled it again.
    What exactly didn't you like about it? It's the most visually customizable plugins in all of C-F.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    I was just going to point that out. I sort of wish Openbox had that too, but I don't really need it.
    Second that. Although I rarely actually tabbed windows together in Fluxbox, I used an external tab on the side as a "handle" for grabbing windows without fear of accidentally clicking on a button.
    "Candle? What candle? I don't see any candle, it's too damn dark in here!"
    Visit my author home page | Read about the exploits of Dennis the Rescue Vizsla

Beans

Pekwm has one of the most complete tabbed window executions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast