Thread: Alt-Shift layout switch and hot heys

Beans

Alt-Shift layout switch and hot heys

Hi folks.

Recently i discovered that my favourite layout switch combination (alt-shift) is breaking hotkeys in other programmes.
    I.e. it will switch layout if I want to format code in NetBeans (alt-shift-F).

I tried to change myself to accept other combinations like "alt-capslock" or even "right winkey" (sic!) but it is not a good option and it not worked for me.

At last I found an almost suitable workaround

1) choose "alt-shift" as "Layout switching" option
    2) choose "Shift cancels Capslock" in "Micellaneous comptibility options"

(these are in System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts -> Layout option)

As result "shift-alt" will switch layout and "alt-shift" will head to to hot keys. Weird but works for me.

Do you guys know better solution?
    May be you know how to make gnome switch layouts by "alt-space" or "winkey-space"

Please share your knowledge.

Thanks in advance, Lauri.

P.s. I'm running ubuntu with gnome

Beans

Re: Alt-Shift layout switch and hot heys

I have the same problem. Your solution is better than nothing but not ideal.
    (Thanks anyway).
    The ideal would be if the keyboard was changed after the key-up event not key down. It always annoyed me.. i already wrote a stupid script which which tried to solve this.. but it was not stable and I lost it in a course of time. May be its time to investigate again.
    Hopefully one day Linux will evolve to that (if 15 years is not long enough) (sigh)