Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White box on Youtube with flash in 10.10

Beans

White box on Youtube with flash in 10.10

I'm getting a odd issue and it appears to be only on Youtube at the moment. Play back of any video there is just a white box with audio. Otherwise, well at least so far, any other site I've been to with flash video works just fine. Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Another note, which may or may not be related. If I try to remove or install Flash in Ubuntu Tweak it always says Update Failed. However I go to the Ubuntu Software Center and I can install and remove Flash with no trouble at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: White box on Youtube with flash in 10.10

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Rodness View Post
    I'm getting a odd issue and it appears to be only on Youtube at the moment. Play back of any video there is just a white box with audio. Otherwise, well at least so far, any other site I've been to with flash video works just fine. Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Another note, which may or may not be related. If I try to remove or install Flash in Ubuntu Tweak it always says Update Failed. However I go to the Ubuntu Software Center and I can install and remove Flash with no trouble at all.
    Found the solution on this site posted as grey box instead of white box. How they figured out that purging the PPA "erik-b-andersen/rgba-gtk" would do the trick I don't know, but it definitely worked. Flash playback is back to normal. Appears that PPA requires some update before it will play nice with Youtube. In the meantime compiz opacity will do just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Found the solution on this site posted as grey box instead of white box. How they figured out that purging the PPA "erik-b-andersen/rgba-gtk" would do the trick I don't know, but it definitely worked. Flash playback is back to normal. Appears that PPA requires some update before it will play nice with Youtube. In the meantime compiz opacity will do just fine.
    Hiya, could you please elaborate on how to do this? I am having the same problem, but I can't find the thread that you mention, and don't want to delete anything I shouldn't.

Beans

Sorry folks,

Forgot to mention that post I followed for my similar situation was "Adobe Flash plugin gray box (sound works)". The 10# post by gsedej indicating to purge RGBA transparency is what I did to get my flash working again.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...sound+works%29

hope this link work properly to get you there directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just for the sake of getting a new package of flash. Open a terminal and:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    This will remove old
    clean out cache so can go fetch a new package and not the same one.
    install new flash
    Always nice to get a fresh copy from repositories:
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans
    Distro

Hi, I've tried the fix above, but do not have the erik-b-andersen/rgba-gtk packages mentioned above. Are there any other names for this package, or is there another package which could also be responsible?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

*bump*

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sunships View Post
    Hi, I've tried the fix above, but do not have the erik-b-andersen/rgba-gtk packages mentioned above. Are there any other names for this package, or is there another package which could also be responsible?

Thank you.
    Just in case anyone else has the same problem, in the absence of the rgba packages, I have since found that in my case the problem is due to my using 64-bit Ubuntu, and I was able to fix it using the protocol described here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...10-98076.shtml
    Last edited by Sunships; October 21st, 2010 at 06:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunships View Post
    Just in case anyone else has the same problem, in the absence of the rgba packages, I have since found that in my case the problem is due to my using 64-bit Ubuntu, and I was able to fix it using the protocol described here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...10-98076.shtml
    If you downloaded the 64-bit Flash version from the Softpedia link in that article, I suggest you remove it, as it's no longer supported and contains known security vulnerabilities. You can get the new native 64-bit Flash 10.2 preview from: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._092710.tar.gz

Beans

I'll have to keep that in mind if I decide to try out 64 bit again.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast