View Poll Results: What share does ubuntu have in India among other GNU/Linux distros?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is the most popular distro and is widely used among GNU/Linux users

29 100.00%
  • I don't use Ubuntu, but I know a lot of people who do..

0 0%
  • I use some other distro and have reasons not to use Ubuntu (elucidate)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What share does ubuntu have in India among other GNU/Linux distros?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question What share does ubuntu have in India among other GNU/Linux distros?

Do you believe that Ubuntu is the most popular distro? If so, why? If not, then what is pulling it back?
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What share does ubuntu have in India among other GNU/Linux distros?

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxIsInnovation View Post
    Do you believe that Ubuntu is the most popular distro? If so, why? If not, then what is pulling it back?
    Definitely mate because Genuine windows is ubuntu he he said so because its easy to use buddy of all the linux distros

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Agree!! Ubuntu is definitely the easiest to get going with Linux
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think there should have been two more choices in the poll -

1) I use Ubuntu but I know some people who use other distros
    2) I use Ubuntu but most of the people I know use other distros

Personally, Ubuntu and others in its family like Xubuntu and Kubuntu and the most widely used Linux distros among my friends, but I'm the only one I know who's exclusively using Ubuntu. Other people I know either use only Windows, or dual boot it.

Most corporations I come across here immediately assosciate the word Linux with Red Hat.

Even at an education fair I went to a month ago, I came across an institute with certificate courses in Red Hat 5 (I know its outdated, but maybe they don't know that) but no insitute was certifying (is that even a word?) any other distro.
    Never try and teach a pig to sing -- it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. - Robert Heinlein
    Ubuntu User #19128

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yepp.. I could've added the 1st point I guess
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sukarn View Post
    I think there should have been two more choices in the poll -

1) I use Ubuntu but I know some people who use other distros
    2) I use Ubuntu but most of the people I know use other distros

Personally, Ubuntu and others in its family like Xubuntu and Kubuntu and the most widely used Linux distros among my friends, but I'm the only one I know who's exclusively using Ubuntu. Other people I know either use only Windows, or dual boot it.

Most corporations I come across here immediately assosciate the word Linux with Red Hat.

Even at an education fair I went to a month ago, I came across an institute with certificate courses in Red Hat 5 (I know its outdated, but maybe they don't know that) but no insitute was certifying (is that even a word?) any other distro.
    Hi,Guys.
    I am very enthusiastic about ubuntu,which is by far the most easy to use linux distro available in the world. It has become the base of many distros which are using the ubuntu philosophy(both technical and humanitarian)such as Linux Mint, Ubuntu Studio, Kubuntu,Edubuntu etc.
    But still it is far from perfect,u need to do lot of customisations to make it smoothly usable so even a dumb who has a little understanding of computers can use it without any worry.I am not saying that linux is a useless a stuff for general people but actually most of them do not know what linux is or why should they leave windows and start using linux.In fact I know 2 guys who studied Red Hat Linux 5.0 administration and have a very good knowledge about that matter but reluctant to use ubuntu as their generic desktop.Why so??
    In my friend circle I am the only guy who uses ubuntu/linux.My friends do not like to take the trouble of learning something new,they are happy with pirated windowsXP and Windows 7.
    Over the last two years, since I first learned linux(on my own,no one ever helped me or inspired me about this[except one teacher of our school before I completed my High School 5 years ago])from my observation I came to the following conclusions:
    1>Most of the Computer users(I am talking about our previous generation )do not even know the difference Between Windows and Microsoft Office.This is happening because there is no awareness on the end-user's side or the Goverment do not bother to provide them with the right kind of information.So You and I approach them and tell them the benefits of using open-source apps against closed source apps and they will give You a simple reply"what??whatz that??say again!!"We need to sort out this problem otherwise no bIG Bang Succes for linux.
    2>Softwares for work and play.Though there are lot of softwares available for our daily chores but the place where to find these softwares andhow to install them is one of the BIG headches for the general population. various package management softwares are available such as YUM and APT but for this the user has to know what package management his/her distro supports.U may say that all the required softwares are available in the repository and they do not need to worry about that but what if some exception occurs like he/she want a specific purpose application which not available in the repo.And they are accustomed to just click'n'install type of work so u can not ask them to compile from source,convert from one package file to another.I hope in future there will emerge a single standard package management system for every Distribution which seems quite impossible at this moment.Also, Desktop Environments,KDE provides the Most Eye Candy and GNOME most usability(do not get offended for this,I am telling this from my own experience)and we linux users wage flame wars about ??WHO IS THE BEST??.
    One thing we should not forget that we are the new gen of computer literate who have some knowledge about technical aspects but still now there are many people whose work is very little related to core computing and they just use their computer to get their work done.So they do not going to delve themselves in something like which DE is providing Eye candy or Most usable DE.They just know, the Windows button resides at the right side corner of the screen and to access his/her desired application he/she has to click on that and navigate around it to find the needed thing.How u are going to tell them, what is a DE and how much it matters in his/her work or entertainment purpose and i am sure they will not listen to you unless they are polite intellignt persons.I am not against open source philosophy but everyone should think how we can work unitedly to ward off these evils.In our country illiteracy is still at large and if we are going to teach them about computer and linux then we are attempting to do what even God never did.
    After all UBUNTU/LiNUx is about Humanity To Others.So for this humanity to expand we have to eradicate the root of all these things-
    ILLITERACY,POVERTY and CAPITALIST attitude of our society.Then we will be able to make them use UBUNTU/or any other distro as their DEFAULT OS in their DESKTOP/LAPTOP/SMB Servers and spread our message of Humanity to EVERYONE in our Country and around the world.
    UBUNTU ZINDABAD.

Ankon Sarkhel.
    E-Mail:ankonsarkhel@gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On an ubuntu forum? those choices? bound to happen..

Beans

I don't know whats exactly the share of Ubuntu among other GNU/Linux distros. But its catching up fast. The only thing that needs to be focused is making commonly used window programs available to run on Ubuntu and than it can catch up faster among home users and commercially as well.

Some regular training sessions with vendors in market will help to spread it faster, especially re-installation or corrupt OS issues can be addressed using ubuntu which will make job of vendors easy and they can promote it with assembled pc's too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thumbs down Re: What share does ubuntu have in India among other GNU/Linux distros?

I don't know whats exactly the share of Ubuntu among other GNU/Linux distros. But its catching up fast. The only thing that needs to be focused is making commonly used window programs available to run on Ubuntu and than it can catch up faster among home users and commercially as well.
    What are you saying?? You want to run windows program on Ubuntu then install Wine or the commercial Crossover! Also why use windows program on Ubuntu?? There are many alternatives for windows program on Ubuntu and some of them are best than any windows program! Only use wine if you want to play any windows games!

Beans

Although I voted for the 1st option, I'd say that Red Hat is equally well known (if not more so), especially considering that Linux is still popularly considered as suited only for servers, scientific establishments, and IT firms.

I've used Linux exclusively since 2004, but resistance is still quite high among lay users I'd say, and in this respect its no different here in India than anywhere else.

A chief reason for this is the bundling of Windows along with every purchased/assembled PC, so the very first computing experience to nearly everyone is Windows, and many are resistant to change habits made early on, and to take the initiative and effort (though this has been reduced a lot by easy to use distros like Ubuntu, compared to earlier days!) to explore the Linux world.

Many don't even get to hear about Linux. Of those that do, only a fraction are curious enough to actually look it up and download a distro. Next comes the BIG barrier: installation and especially partitioning. Only someone who has some geekiness (LOL) to them will get past this step I guess!

Once successfully installed, the road further is a lot smoother, though once again many leave due to inability to play their favourite game, or the incompatibility of some killer app that they must have, though things have improved tremendously here too; I recently got Morrowind and Oblivion to play flawlessly under WINE!

But the fact that you can finally be free of Microsoft's grossly unfair pricing (and the associated compulsion to pirate), and the overall hegemony of the proprietary software environment makes all the pain worth it, IMHO! This is especially true for economically relatively poorer regions and for students - the former benefits from free as in beer aspect, and the latter from free as in freedom aspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast