Thread: Dual boot problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Dual boot problem

I have been dual booting vista home basic and gutsy since about february, and I just started getting this issues yesterday. I have a dell inspiron 1521 with 2gb ram. No problems, even with wireless up until now.

If I log into 1 operating system, the next time I log into other it will lock up the first time, and after a hard reboot I can get in. I am not sure if this is an ubuntu problem or a vista problem, but I don't allow either of them to update, so it is most likely not that. I did shrink my vista partition a week ago in anticipation of triple booting, but this problem didn't not occur or I didn't notice it until now.

Now, I planned on wiping 7.1 in order to install 8.04, but I read earlier this morning about a kernel update that kills wireless. If this is the case, I am stuck with gutsy.

Thanks in advance, I hope my issue isn't too obscure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Dual boot problem

Does this occur whether you shut down or reboot between OS's?
    If I'm not being clear enough or giving you enough information, just ask

"But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up."

Smooth scrolling for GTK!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Either way. As long as I end one and load the other, I get frozen.

Now, I planned on wiping 7.1 in order to install 8.04, but I read earlier this morning about a kernel update that kills wireless. If this is the case, I am stuck with gutsy.
    It would depend on what wireless card you have, and what wireless card(s) is/are affected.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

So wiping both and reinstalling with 8.04 would be quicker than figuring out why the gutsy and vista have started to hate each other? I will check out hardy this weekend then, thanks!