Thread: sony handycam woes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

sony handycam woes

Seems nothing recognizes my .iso or video_TS files on my desktop, basically I just put the minidvd into my drive and copied to desktop as .iso as this was the only choice. Anyone know what to do or if there is some software that sony put out for Ubuntu, because I am thinking of just going and doing it on the kids pc with windows xp. Time is a good teacher ,but it also kills us...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: sony handycam woes

just admit it people , we live in the dark ages
    ..::~~* "Therefore, the Lord God banished Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden and placed a flaming sword to protect the tree of life" *~~::..(quote from movie "The Fountain" )

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MeTylerDurden View Post
    Seems nothing recognizes my .iso or video_TS files on my desktop, basically I just put the minidvd into my drive and copied to desktop as .iso as this was the only choice. Anyone know what to do or if there is some software that sony put out for Ubuntu, because I am thinking of just going and doing it on the kids pc with windows xp. Time is a good teacher ,but it also kills us...
    Have you finalized the disks? Some gear handles unfinalized disks better than others.......

(Just as an aside: my preference is for a HDD camcorder, followed closely by a MiniDV or Digital-8 tape-based system. The Digital-8 & MiniDV camcorders can record more on a single tape, and can make a digital copy through Firewire, and the HDD system isn't limited to whatever speed the tape plays at)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

If you isntalled vlc from the medibuntu repo, you shouldn't have problems playing TS videos or to play the .iso file.

I back my dvd's up as .iso and watch them like that using vlc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Have you finalized the disks? Some gear handles unfinalized disks better than others.......
    p.s. Have you tried DVD::rip?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hopefully I can answer all 3 answers here: They will play with vlc player. I did finalize the discs . Dvdrip hmmm, I did not install that.

was hoping to take 3 of the mini discs and put them onto a single 4.7 GB dvd-R and send out some copies to the folks. I think I was able to copy a single disc to a dvd , but that is the best I found and that was either with Brasero or the cddvdcreator I thought I was king now I am the pawn
    ..::~~* "Therefore, the Lord God banished Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden and placed a flaming sword to protect the tree of life" *~~::..(quote from movie "The Fountain" )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I got rid of our MiniDVD handycam and use a miniDV/Firewire solution now.

But I think I can help...
    As you know you have to finalize the discs.

VLC is by far the best player for viewing just about any type of video file.

But to combine multiple discs onto a standard DVD disc you will need to use all the individual "chapter"/video_TS files to create a new complete DVD.
    Try the dvdauthor suite of tools. Simply move all the video_TS files to one folder (use VLC to preview and then rename them appropriately) then use dvdauthor to create a menu to navigate the new combined collection of video files.

Alternatively you could convert the videos and combine then into one huge video and then write it to a disc, but you don't want to do that.

Lastly keep the menus simply for compatibility if you're sending them off to technophobic relations.

Sorry this isn't too in depth but it's been a while, hope it helps anyway.