Thread: [SOLVED] How to create a link on the desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[SOLVED] How to create a link on the desktop?

I'm trying to create a link on the desktop. If I select a text file and drag it to the desktop, it moves the file. In other words, it will no longer be in the directory from which I dragged it.

I read in another post that one could create a link by selecting an item with both mouse buttons and dragging it to the desktop, but that doesn't work for me. Don't know why, but when I simultaneously click both buttons on my mouse it acts just like a single left click.

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: How to create a link on the desktop?

right click on the file, select make link, then cut and paste that link onto the desktop

simple

edit: woohooo, 1000 posts
    Neo Tokyo Skies Prologue

A prologue release of the MMORPG Neo Tokyo skies...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The mouse button trick is to middle mouse button click the file and drag it to where you want it, when you let off the middle mouse button you will be confronted with an options menu, one of which is to create a link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, thanks all.

Shifty_powers suggestion won't work. For some reason when I right click on a file, the "create link" option is greyed out and cannot be selected.

Starcannon's suggestion worked, though.

Why would my "create link" option be greyed out? I have permission to read and write on the text file I was working with.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Possibly because you don't have read/write permission on the fiolder itself that the text file is in. If that's the case, you can't add to or delete from the folder, even if you can edit some of the files.

P.S. Starcannon - I didn't know that trick. Awesome - I always love learning little shortcuts like that. Thanks!
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...