Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: nvidia 8800 gt problems

Beans

Re: nvidia 8800 gt problems

Thank you everyone for your posts here I have succefully installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and everything works great now i can begin my new learning curve that is ubuntu

Beans

Angry Re: nvidia 8800 gt problems

Oki i hate buggin and askin for help but this last 2 weeks ive gone threw forum after forum searching for the awnser.. so far nothing has worked.. i did step by step as unix slayer has explained but for the life of me can not make this work everything i do ends up at a blackscreen.. ask me whatcha need ill try my best but i would have to say im a n00b to linux.. i wanna get away from that company called i think microshaft is there name any help would be greatly apreciated.. thanks Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you are using Hardy then the repositories have the 169.12 driver already there.

Enable the restricted driver.

If you are using Gutsy or earlier then you will need Envy 0.9.10 and select manual install. The 169.12 driver option will be there.

No need to install a driver you download from a website.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile Re: nvidia 8800 gt problems

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    If you are using Hardy then the repositories have the 169.12 driver already there.

Enable the restricted driver.

If you are using Gutsy or earlier then you will need Envy 0.9.10 and select manual install. The 169.12 driver option will be there.

No need to install a driver you download from a website.
    I was reading this thread in hopes to recover some of the performance I lost when I switched from Gutsy to Hardy.... I used to be able to play CS-Source in linux with performance that was comparable to windows. Now the performance is horrible. My display lags so much I can't begin to play. I know it's something new to Hardy - since this is a triple booted machine Win XP, Win Vista, and Ubuntu Hardy v8.04 64 bit - and I can still play fine in XP.

This is an AMD Athlon 64 X2, 4 Gig RAM, Dual Nvidia 7600s in an SLI configuration. Not the hottest on the block, but not junk yet either.

Would compiling the driver manually help? How can I verify that my SLI setup is working? I've used nvidia-settings and can't tell if SLI is working or not.

Again, my performance was MUCH better before Hardy. I'm bummed.

*** UPDATE ***
    I was able to enable SLI using information from this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=848748

sudo nvidia-xconfig --sli=On

nvidia x-server settings reports that both cards are enabled and working now in SLI but...

My desktop is 'zippy' now, but game still is slow and un-usable.

: (
    Last edited by jon_herr; July 15th, 2008 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have a unique issue regarding 7.10 and nvidia's 8800GT. I cannot get any install screen to come up when I have the 8800GT in. I have my 7800GT standing by and I can install 7.10 just fine with it ins but I want the power of the 8800GT.

If I installed the newest driver after installing 7.10 with the 7800GT, would I be able to then pop in the 8800GT with no problems?
    Dual AMD Quad-core 2346HE CPUs, 16GB DDR2 667 SDRAM, 2TB (4X500GB) WD SATA 3.0 7200 HDDs, ARECA ARC-1210 RAID controller card, nVIDIA 8800GT, TYAN Thunder S2927-E Motherboard, xubuntu Linux 9.04 64-bit edition

Beans
    Hidden!

Anything new on this front?

I have verified my performance on the same PC, same hardware using windows and linux...

Windows XP 32 bit / Counterstrike Source: 120 frames per second

Ubuntu Hardy 64 bit : 20 frames per second.
    (Yes I'm using the restricted nvidia driver)

This used to be much better in 7.10... what happened?

Jon

Beans

i just recently bought a new monitor and installed ubuntu over again and it magically works for me now... had nothing to do with the drivers for my card, i guess it just didnt like my really old ****** monitor

thanks for all the time and effort everyone put in for help though.

if all of the above doesnt work, maybe its your monitor

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678