Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: [SOLVED] need some phone help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: need some phone help

You now have Windows, Ubuntu and 2 Mint systems (one on disk 2 and the other on disk 3).

The section of the menu.lst file between "BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" and "END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" is automatically generated. Don't manually make changes here because they will be overwritten when kernels are added or removed from the system. If you want to reduce the number of kernels displayed here then edit the line:
    Code:
    # howmany=all
    and specify the number of kernels you want listed.

Then regenerate the menu.lst file with:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    The section after "END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" you can edit to suit your requirements.

The only disadvantage to this setup is that only one linux system will update grub automatically when a new kernel is added. You could install a grub for each linux system and then chainload them but I use one copy of grub and update it manually.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

bj, Also, and I don't recall if Nick mentioned this on his links, but there is a good tutorial on Grub and on using Startup Manager. It would do you good to print it out and study it. It's found here and on my signature link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=HOWTO

Glad everything is working okay. Remember you wanted just phone help. I said then that this would benefit more people having similar issues. Someone over the phone could have walked you through it, but trial and error(mostly error), is sometimes the best teacher. There's a big difference having someone telling you to go here and push that, add this, then you actually doing the work yourself. Good job!

Beans

This is one of the links that I looked at the other day but did not understand how it worked it sounds
    good but!!
    The link below says you can put grub on a seperate partition.
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm#

Keep GRUB and Make a Dedicated GRUB Partition*
    GRUB is more than just a boot loader, GRUB is almost a small operating system in it's own right. GRUB doesn't need to be inside a Linux operating system for any real reason, GRUB can stand on it's own two feet! *GRUB only needs a small partition and can live on its own.
    GRUB is actually a great boot manager as well as a boot loader.
    Actually, it is FAR BETTER to use GRUB as your 'third party boot manager'* if you are setting up a Windows-Windows dual boot than to let Windows do it the Windows default way, read this website to find out why, Understanding MultiBooting and Booting Windows from an Extended Partition.
    So if you have read all that you'll understand why you should keep GRUB, even if you are giving up on Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bj218 View Post
    This is one of the links that I looked at the other day but did not understand how it worked it sounds
    good but!!
    The link below says you can put grub on a seperate partition.
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm#
    Red Hat uses a separate boot partition. I prefer to keep it simple "KISS". Once you get use to using grub you won't have the problems you've experienced. I don't see the benefit of having a separate partition wasting space. I'm sure the ones that came up with that idea may have their reasoning.
    Last edited by VMC; July 3rd, 2008 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

That How To looks very interesting I have it on my computer and will study it more later. Thanks bj

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I prefer to KISS too <3 lol.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345