Thread: Suggestion for new name for forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Suggestion for new name for forum

It seems that the name "Ubuntu Women" provokes some strong reactions, as people jump to the conclusion that this forum is a place to confine women using ubuntu. Perhaps changing the name to something like "Ubuntu-women project" or "Engaging women in ubuntu" (I'm not good a coming up with names, but you get the idea) could help avoid such confusion in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion for new name for forum

How about "The Ladies' Room?"
    ...okay, maybe not. But you did laugh, didn't you?
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

I'm all for keeping "Ubuntu Women", as other at least one other distro has "(insert distro here) Women" in their names. But, the point is valid. How about having a subtitle, like "Ubuntu Women: Encouraging Women to use Linux"? Or maybe add a word to the title to clarify, such as "Ubuntu Women Advocacy"?

I'm not good with names, either.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think some people just need to "suck it up." The name isn't that provocative. Some folks just make no effort to understand what the project's about. Ubuntu isn't going to change its name to Ubuntu: Linux for beings who are human toward each other just because some people think Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings means it can be installed easily by anyone on any hardware configuration without any tweaking or command-line use. Nor should we change the name Ubuntu Women just because some people think it's "sexist."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I think some people just need to "suck it up."
    Oooooooo <awed tone as if in great admiration>....
    I don't think I've ever seen you get even a little grumpy.

I agree with you, by the way.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    Oooooooo <awed tone as if in great admiration>....
    I don't think I've ever seen you get even a little grumpy.

I agree with you, by the way.
    Oh, I get grumpy. See me in some of the anti-Linux FUD threads...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I agree with Aysiu. Changing the name because it makes a small minority of people (who have said they will never post here anyhow...see previous thread) feel more comfortable is a waste of our time. I think the name is already quite appropriate. It doesn't seem that provocative (just imagine the response if we had Ubuntu Queers!). It also is broad enough that it allows the group space to grow into whatever the members want. I think the problem lies with the lack of understanding of a few people rather than the name itself.

Beans

LOL

This is helarious.

How about wubuntu ?

My Nihongo is rusty but Josei No Ubuntu ?

Personally some of the people who get rilled up about this have their knickers in a bunch.

How else you gonna identify the project ... I say scrap that forum and let the women that use Linux mingle in the regular world. There is no need to "specially" single out females in any linux project... because what it does is isolate said women from a wealth of help from their male colleagues.

SCRAP IT !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I think some people just need to "suck it up." The name isn't that provocative. Some folks just make no effort to understand what the project's about. Ubuntu isn't going to change its name to Ubuntu: Linux for beings who are human toward each other just because some people think Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings means it can be installed easily by anyone on any hardware configuration without any tweaking or command-line use. Nor should we change the name Ubuntu Women just because some people think it's "sexist."
    agreed - also, some people may need to study feminism a little bit (at least google feminism) to understand what is sexist and what's not... remember the first rule of linux? read...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I agree with you guys that it shouldn't be necessary to change the name, I think Ubuntu Women is a good, descriptive name, but as you can see even in this thread, posts such as this :

Quote Originally Posted by gillion
    I say scrap that forum and let the women that use Linux mingle in the regular world. There is no need to "specially" single out females in any linux project... because what it does is isolate said women from a wealth of help from their male colleagues.

SCRAP IT !
    are going to keep on coming. But I guess people will get the point eventually. Hope you're all patient !