Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogging to a crawl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bogging to a crawl

I have an old gforce 3-a mobo/AMD Sempron 3000 @ 1.2mhz 1G ddr400 memory and an nvidia 256Mb agp graphics card running Ubuntu 12.4.1 32bit

Problem, is after a while, (mostly looking at pic heavy sites like craiglist auto section) my computer gets really slow. Even after closing all apps, reactions like mouse clicks are about 5 seconds delay time.

I can log out of Ubuntu and it will be back to normal. I'm not sure what other info that I should put up here that would be relevant to this, but any help will be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Bogging to a crawl

When you next log in, open a console and enter "top". Then just let that console run, and use another virtual desktop to do your browsing/video viewing. Or you can minimize the console window, but if the response is getting so slow, you'd like to be able to immediately see what top shows as the busiest process. That will give a clue where the bogging is happening.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dabl View Post
    When you next log in, open a console and enter "top". Then just let that console run, and use another virtual desktop to do your browsing/video viewing. Or you can minimize the console window, but if the response is getting so slow, you'd like to be able to immediately see what top shows as the busiest process. That will give a clue where the bogging is happening.
    OK, I have used system monitor before (the gui app) and it never shows anything that is glaring or standing out. But I'll keep TOP up for now, thanks.

Beans

You'll see a lot more with top, and probably there's only one process (the one on "top") that is the cause of trouble.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro

Makes sense, mostly xorg on top 31%, firefox, compiz, gnome-terminal

I'll keep it going

Beans

Could be a problem with Compiz. What's your memory usage like, as in, how much is being used during the slowdown. I have a hunch that it's a memory leak, such from compiz.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Could be a problem with Compiz. What's your memory usage like, as in, how much is being used during the slowdown. I have a hunch that it's a memory leak, such from compiz.
    It's at about .9G now

Any way to fix it?

Beans
    Distro

It's bogging to a crawl because you are running a fairly recent OS on fairly ancient hardware. I'd recommend upgrading (especially your RAM), or switching to a more lightweight distro such as 12.04 with Xfce.
    613websites.com Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans

Unfortuantly, the only real fix is using an alternate DE for ubuntu like Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Unity doesn't run too well on old hardware. Also, Compiz tends to do what is happening to you after awhile and is only fixed, I believe, in Ubuntu 12.10. So upgrade (I suggest you don't) or use an alternate desktop. Cinnamon Desktop is nice.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I've been dragging this old thing around long enough, it got me here from 6.10 though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast